Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-02-2008, 12:45 AM

Default Data Aquisition

I ordered a National Instruments USB - Data Aquisition card. I am planning on setting it up to read a wideband O2 sensor for tuning as well as turning it into a data logger during my pass. Autometer is sending me the resistance conversions on their sending units. The DAQ card only costs 160 and comes with software.

It also has a analog output so in addition to being data logger it could be made into a delay box. The card has 8 inputs. The labview 8.5.1 student software which should make the ability to develop delay box pretty easy.

I know data logging systems exist but has anyone out there tried to develop their own?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked with some engineering students developing a data accusition system for a dyno. One of the problems we fought was getting "On Time" data. Things like thermocouples, air turbines, and to a lesser extent fuel turbines, all laged behind where the engine auctually was on sweep pulls. At the time we used Keithly Testpoint, very powerful software with a few glitches that even their engineers had issues with.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIV55 View Post
I worked with some engineering students developing a data accusition system for a dyno. One of the problems we fought was getting "On Time" data. Things like thermocouples, air turbines, and to a lesser extent fuel turbines, all laged behind where the engine auctually was on sweep pulls. At the time we used Keithly Testpoint, very powerful software with a few glitches that even their engineers had issues with.
The DAQ card I ordered can sample at 10,000 samples a second much more than is necessary. It is not capable of simultaneous samples but that shouldn't be a problem it just runs down the inputs and recieves the samples.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our problem wasn't so much with the sampling rate as it was with the sensors.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Default Data Recorder

Bought my first one last week a Computech DataMaxx. Gonna be using it to monitor Engine RPM.............Shaft RPM...............Blower boost...............EGT readings and Fuel pressure.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Boost Engineer

You are headed in the right direction there, George. What is the sampling rate on your set-up?

Rompin63 and some of the other guys will never give up their data aquisition systems now that they have used them.

See you at Norwalk.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Suspended

Default Norwalk

Tom V. quote: "You are headed in the right direction there, George."
Coming from a Drof Engineer I'm starting too worry!

So Tom, what car will you be racing?

Last edited by GTOGEORGE; 08-03-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Default Oops!

Quote: "So Tom, what car will you be racing?:"
Sorry Tom, that was a cheap shot. I know you don't race cars just your easy chair.....................I apologies!

Quote: "What is the sampling rate on your set-up?"
It's adjustable Tom.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Boost Engineer

That was expected, George.

Still waiting and waiting and waiting for that 7 second run, George.
Hope I am not retired and sleeping in my "easy chair" by the time you finally make it. No need for me to drive, George, as everyone knows you are the Fastest Pontiac in Michigan.

That being said, I hope you do well next week-end.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Default FYI

A little FYI when ordering a Data Recorder, when monitoring the shaft RPM I found out that if you have a Dana 60 you are kind of screwed the don't make a split ring collar for it. Mostly they come in 2 sizes.........................for a DROF 9".

Tom V. said, Quote: "George, as everyone knows you are the Fastest Pontiac in Michigan."

Why thank you Tom!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Tom V. said, Quote: "George, as everyone knows you are the Fastest Pontiac in Michigan."

Why thank you Tom!"

George's Signiture:

"Quickest Pontiac powered Pontiac in Michigan!"

You have been bragging about that deal for a long time now. Whether
it is true or not is another topic of discussion. Personally I think Marty's friend "Stan" with his twin turbo 61 Catalina has gone quicker.

Tom V.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Default Quickest

Tom,
I'll be at Norwalk, if he is there we will see!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Boost Engineer

The car is for sale, you want to buy it? According to Marty the car in the present condition will run those 7s you have been trying to reach forever. Have you gone 8.20s George? Apparently Stan has. Get out your pocket-book.

Same goes for anyone else interested:

61 Twin Turbo Catalina Ready to run 7s. PM Marty to get contact info for Stan.

Tom V.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Default Always someone else

Gee, Tommy my car in it's present condition will run 7's also. And yes Tom I have run 8.20's, the difference is you will be able to see it do it at Norwalk (if you actually make it to Norwalk), not someone else's so called hear say! But like I always say, if you haven't done it, it's all just BS. I mean to change that, not just some one else's hear say!