Old 07-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Default Finding Firewall Wiring Holes

Hmm. I have a fairly simple question that will probably attract a far simpler answer.

I have a 73 Ventura that is in need of some real gauges! I have a standard Oil PSI/Voltage/Water temp 3 gauge cluster to be installed sometime.

My problem is I haven't been able to spot a suitable hole to poke the cabling through the firewall. Mind you I haven't dealt with this sort of thing before, so I'm going to throw myself onto the mercy of the forum.

Where should I be looking? Where would you put it through?

Halp?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Buy some rubber gromments and drill whatever you need.

'73 Ventura, Spotts 462 roller
10.785 @ 122.79, 1.507 60 ft
2850 lbs. plus driver, 3150 race weight

'69 Firebird Convertible, Spotts 455 with long branches
12.561 @ 107.62, best on old 455
4290 race weight

'72 Formula 455 HO
numbers matching auto, work in progress!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Location: Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult In The Motor City

If your car has an automatic transmission, You can remove the clutch linkage block off plate under and to the right of the brake booster (see pic #2) and to the left of the fuse block harness.
Drill a hole in it, install a grommet and re-install the plate. Then run your wires/cables through the grommet from under the dash.
If you have a manual trans, try the hole to the right of the throttle cable (partialy hidden by tape in pic #2, may have a rubber plug in it). Always use a rubber grommet so the wires/cables don't rub on the metal opening.

8.5" 10 bolt with Auburn race series posi, 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes
Looking for the right Ventura for the drivetrain ('73 w/o Sprint nose)
Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Well you guys are just too nice!

nonnova, think I'll be able to get to that clutch blockoff plate (seeing as my Ventura is an automatic) without having to remove any components? I tried to eyeball it under the brake master cylinder and couldn't find it!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 AM

Also, I meant to ask something else to begin with.

Is a mechanical oil pressure gauge worth the hassle? Or should I just forgo the use of this one, and save up for a electronic gauge?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:46 PM

It is hard to get to with all the components installed. At worst you may have to undo the brake rod from the pedal, unbolt the booster and slide it forward. You shouldn't have to undo the lines, there should be enough flex in them, just be careful.
Mechanical gauges are the way to go.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:19 PM

hmm, do you mean just remove the brake booster? Or what?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
hmm, do you mean just remove the brake booster? Or what?
Well....sort of.
What I'm saying is you should be able to unbolt the booster and slide it towards the front of the car enough to gain access behind/under it without removing the lines from the booster, hence eliminating the need to bleed the brakes when you are done.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Hmm. I don't quite understand what you're suggesting, that's why I asked for clarification.

I don't see how any of this can be "slid forward." Nor do I see where you can unbolt just about anything. There are 4 bolts on the back of the vacuum diaphragm, but I don't see them as actually holding the unit up.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
There are 4 bolts on the back of the vacuum diaphragm, but I don't see them as actually holding the unit up.
Yes, that is the what they do. The four bolts hold the vacuum booster/master cylinder combo to the firewall. There is a pin with a clip that holds the pushrod from the booster onto the brake pedal.
Remove the clip, slide out the pin to detach brake pedal, remove four bolts holding the vacuum booster/master cylinder combo to the firewall and slide it forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BM1742.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	138184