Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Default changing freeze plugs

The frost plug under the number one cylinder just started squirting coolent out of it in my 1971 Pontiac lemans 350. I bought a rubber expansion plug for it but I am having a heck of a time removing it. I've been using a bunch of socket extensions and a giant flathead screwdriver and a hammer,trying to pop one side out by hitting the other, but so far have only been successful in puncturing more holes in it. Does anyone have have any tips for doing this? I dont have the option of removing the engine 'cause I aint got no money.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:40 PM

Nevermind I fought with it for a while and finally got the thing out by just smashing on it. thanks anyway

Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For future reference.

Worst case scenario is to just knock the old/damaged core plug into the cooling jacket and let it be,it will eventually disintegrate in there.

HTH.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You had better start saving up.
If one plug is rusted through, others will follow soon and there's two under the flywheel.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Boost Engineer

Wow, Something so simple once it is explained to you can sometimes be SO DIFFICULT.

I went through the same frustration until an old mechanic showed me the trick:

1) Take an old 6" long 1/2" extention from a tool set or something similar and hit the core plug in the center of the plug UNTIL you drive it into the block. Pay attention that you just drive it into the cavity and don't hammer so hard that you crack a cylinder wall.

2) Once the core plug is inside the block turn the plug so that one side is partially out of the core plug opening.

3) Take a LARGE screw driver or a pry bar and slip it inside the lip of the core plug. Now use the block as a fulcrum and with a steady
force the core plug will "neck down" and pop right out of the block with no damage to the block.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.