Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Question 389 Engine rebuilders, lower NY-CT area?

Anyone have any experience getting a Pontiac engine rebuild in the southern New York-southern Connecticut area? I'm about to start a rebuild of a stock 389 block, probably needs align bore and maybe a .30 over bore with dished pistons. Planning on installing 670 heads for about 9.5 CR. That's the plan anyhow, but I need a good engine shop with a decent track record. (Like everyone). Thanks!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=567642

Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh by the way Most Pontiac engines rarely need line hone. If your main bearings are worn evenly across DO NOT let a shop line hone it. Only if worn significantly more on one edge or another would I consider it.. Pontiac main caps are located with dowels and seldom lose their good factory machining in that area. Dont fix it if it aint broke applies!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I`am sure Shafiroff Racing in west babylon NY could do you a motor just fine.
516 293 2220

Old 07-25-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421 View Post
thanks, that thread gave me some good tips also. I had spoken to Nunzi a few weeks ago, and out of the goodness of his heart (or pity, maybe) he is helping me get this project on track with some resources for machine work and parts. Nunzi is a great guy, can't say enough good things about him, I put him right up there with Jim Butler, and I know from speaking to Jim that he considers Nunzi to be one of the best ever.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I`am sure Shafiroff Racing in west babylon NY could do you a motor just fine.
516 293 2220
thanks steve I am going to call them. I can get the block there easy, its a 40 minute ride. After speaking to Nunzi (see my reply above) I think I'm going to pull the factory original block and put it away for future whatever... don't mess with the history of the car, I think...start fresh with a 400 block and 6x heads, 66 tripower intake, and see where the $$ run out, haha. Thanks again.