Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM

Default body mounts gap

I have the motor, trans, front clip, radiator support, gas tank, complete interior including dash off my 70 GTO and installed new body mounts. After tourqing down the body mounts to 40 foot lbs I checked the mounts without bolts at the rear seat and axle area and found that they are not contacting the body by about a quarter inch. So I was wondering if this is normal due to the fact that so much weight is missing from the car and all the mounts will squash down later when all of the weight is back in the car.

Perry

Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Perry, offhand I think 40 Ft Lbs may be too much. I think I torqued mine to 25 Ft Lbs.

I also slathered anti-sieze all over the threads to prevent the bolts freezing up.

I also seem to remember that the mounts have slightly different sizes based upon location. I'll try to look up this info. tomorrow and get back to you.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Perry,

I'd say there's a problem. I seem to recall re-using some of those mounts when I changed mine because the new ones were too short. You had the ones under the trunk tight?

Frames flex a lot as I learned when I jacked one wheel up on a rolling chassis without a body on it and watched the front wheel lift off the ground while the other three sat flat on the ground. If you had all the body mounts tight the body should have drawn flush to the frame at all the contact points.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM

78 GHOST, The torque specs I found were 25-40, I started with 25 and when I saw the mounts not touching I worked my way up to the 40 lb limit.

gto4evr, yes all the mounts including under the trunk were tight and I also think the body should have drawn flush to the frame at all contact points.

Perry

Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm vague on this, but I remember my body man saying a lot of the kits give you body mounting bolts that are too long for the mounts under the trunk area. We were talking about my '70, but then I remembered my '69 has two dents in the trunk that might be from body mount bolts that are too long. So maybe the bolts further back are not seating, causing that gap you mentioned.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 PM

I used the original bolts.

Perry

Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Chief

Perry, Buick Skylarks are close enough to our Pontiacs that I think this link will be of interest to you.
http://members.shaw.ca/timcr/mounts.html
I hope it works, if not, I will try something else.
Actually this guys whole restoration is worth a look. After you read about the mounts, back out till you find his home page and check out his restorations.
Paul