Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Old wiring harness

Iwould like to reuse my old wiring harness,how would I go about cleaning the harness before reinstalling?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unwrap the electrical tape/cover, put on some rubber gloves, soak a rag with some mineral spirits and wipe down all the wires. Rewrap the harness with new tape and you are set.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brother, with all the quality work you've done, I'd urge you to consider a good M&H harness.

They are expensive, but dead nuts correct for your application.

Time isn't nice on wires. My car has all new harnesses and I've noticed the lights are much brighter than they used to be. No funky age related issues.

I didn't want to trust my project to old wires when a good replacement was readily available. I know they're probably ok for now, but what about down the line?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

Im with 78 GHOST with the time spent unwrapping cleaning and rewrapping and making sure you wrap them correctly spend the money with M&H. Especially the engine and outside harness those tend to get hard and brittle being exposed to the elements. If your going to take it off might as well put a new on back on. M&H is also dead on with color and fit.

If you want to clean them up though go with GSTAGE1's idea.