Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Brake Booster Studs?

Hey,

I am trying to replace my brake booster unit, but the nuts were put on opposite to what it shows in my 70 shop manual, meaning they are directly behind the unit and nearly impossible to access. Also, they are thoroughly painted and
i have had trouble removing them. What I am planning to do is drill the studs out from the inside under the driver's side dash, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they were pressed in, threaded in, or simply pushed through like a bolt? Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help,

Joe

Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default bracket

They are just pushed through a stamped steel bracket that also supports the brake/clutch pedals.
Here's an example of the bracket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-72...3286.m14.l1318

You could torch them and then remove the bracket from under the dash, and replacing them would be easy.

Doesn't seem like they should be that hard to remove. Do you have one of those boxed end wrenches with the built in ratchet? Those work great for those bolts.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I 2nd the previous answer..........a boxed ratcheting wrench will work on at least 3 of the nuts. I had to use an open end for the 4th. really a tuff area to access behind the booster and slow going to get them off, but you can, and when you do you will be able to clean the threads up really nice with a wire wheel or similar so the install will be much smoother. my back hurts just thinking about how much fun this job was......good luck

Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Suspended

use the short ratcheting wrench, not the standard length.