Old 06-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Chief

Default Ficticious Ventura

Anyone ever hear of a Gold Aniversary Ventura? This clown claims not only that, but says it's a "GTO". And he doesn't know what year the car is, apparently.
Obviously a '76, which would be the correct year for 50th aniversary.
http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/de...?adId=90273258
I'd love to inspect this car in person, although I know it can't be legit.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Location: Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult In The Motor City

The ad claims it's a '77 but the frontend is a '76. It's got the Sprint stripe on the hood.
At best it could be a dealer installed package (graphics?) like the '77 Sprint package.

8.5" 10 bolt with Auburn race series posi, 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes
Looking for the right Ventura for the drivetrain ('73 w/o Sprint nose)
Old 06-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

It looks like a very nice Ventura, but I think the seller doesn't have a clue.

If it were a "Gold Anniversary", wouldn't you think the color would be gold, ala the 50th Anniversary GP. Unless some dork gave it that paint job.

I like the pic of the '77 you posted but I would rather have a factory Sprint package.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Cant comment on the anniversary deal but Im sure that it is NOT a GTO.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-22-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Cant comment on the anniversary deal but Im sure that it is NOT a GTO.
Yeah that's for sure!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Im sure that it is NOT a GTO.
We all know it's not a GTO as far as PMD is concerned.

I have seen numerous dealer installed apearance packages, just like the one on the Ventura "Sprint" pictured below. In 1979, Coe Pontiac in Grand Rapids Michigan converted several '79 Grand Ams into "GTO"s. They removed all the Grand Am emblems and installed GTO decals in their place.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that this '76 Ventura was born into the same type of conversion.

Last edited by Tin Injun Tom; 06-22-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM

After viewing this vehicle I had to speak to a family friend who is a retired GM executive.He has no recollection of a 77 GTO or a Golden aniversery ventura to say the least. This guys must have posted this verbage,just to lure in a prospective buyer...

Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Injun Tom View Post
We all know it's not a GTO as far as PMD is concerned.

I have seen numerous dealer installed apearance packages, just like the one on the Ventura "Sprint" pictured below. In 1979, Coe Pontiac in Grand Rapids Michigan converted several '79 Grand Ams into "GTO"s. They removed all the Grand Am emblems and installed GTO decals in their place.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that this '76 Ventura was born into the same type of conversion.
Will that make that specific car more valuable? I seriously doubt it.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Chief

Me too.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John Gunnell's book "75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland" shows there was a special trim package available on Venturas in 1976...the one in the ad does indeed appear to be the special trim package for 1976. From the book: "There was a special appearance group package available on Ventura two door models only. Included were blackout finished sections of the hood, deck, and lower body perimeter. In addition, the roof pillars were done in black." There were 28,473 two door coupes made, but no breakout is given for the trim option.

Last edited by Stuart; 06-24-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
John Gunnell's book "75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland" shows there was a special trim package available on Venturas in 1976...the one in the ad does indeed appear to be the special trim package for 1976. From the book: "There was a special appearance group package available on Ventura two door models only. Included were blackout finished sections of the hood, deck, and lower body perimeter. In addition, the roof pillars were done in black." There were 28,473 two door coupes made, but no breakout is given for the trim option.
Thats interesting........maybe the car is some sort of special edition after all.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

someone will come along and buy it thinking they have a real gto

Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

My late uncle had a '76 coupe that was pretty much a plain jane Ventura, inline six automatic. One thing that stood out though, was it had a indian head graphic decal on each C-pillar, as part of the original stripe package. That was back in 1980. I've never seen another 75-77 Ventura with one like it. Probably dealer installed.

Last edited by Tin Injun Tom; 06-25-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The stripe on the hood looks the same as the 1975 Sprint package. It appears the only difference in the '76 Special appearance group package and the '75 Sprint package is the absence of the Sprint decals on the pass. side of the header panel and the fenders below the Ventura tag and the color offerings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75vSprintxLoring-4pix.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	134369   Click image for larger version

Name:	76vSAG-MNbloomington.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	134370  

Old 06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for putting those pics up, nn.
That orange '76 in Minnesota looks identicle to the one in Florida. Makes me wonder if it could be the same car that migrated down there. If it is a different car, then we know that it is most likely a factory color & stripe package.

I came across a '75 Sprint, same color green as the one in the thumbnail, beside the road in 1998. There was no engine in it, although it was originally a 260, with factory stick. Interior was gutted, and you could tell it was not likely to see a public road again. Maine vehicle safety inspections.
I've got some photo prints of it tucked away somewhere.