Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-11-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Help identifying Quadrajet 7034973

Rochester Quadrajet 7034973. I cannot find a reference for this number. I have a 67 GTO with a WT 335 HP engine with a 4-speed manual transmission. I am considering having the carb rebuilt but I do not want to spend the bucks on a rebuild if it is not the right carb for this car (the car is running with a Holly carb now). Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YouŽll need to find the rollstamped carb application number on carbs drivers side.
The cast number on back of the bowl on your carb indicates however that you have a 1968-9 Pontiac carb.

http://www.recarbco.com/technical/rochester/qjet.html

Old 12-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is not correct for a 1967.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:29 PM

In looking at Keith's link, the oem number on the side confirms that it is a 1968 Pontiac carb. Thanks to you both for your response.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just noticed your thread.... I've used this link a lot in the past to look up Q-Jet numbers: http://www.carburetion.com/quadnumber.htm

Go back from there to the "Carb Info" page ( http://www.carburetion.com/carbinf.htm ), and you'll find a LOT of good info - you can look up specific carb numbers and they have some other good stuff. It's worth looking through, or at least bookmarking so you have it when you need it.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 AM

I have a 68 automatic TH400 GTO . My mechanic replaced my old rochester quadrajet carb with a 7029263. Unless I'm mistaken the 3 at the end indicates a Manual Trans application. I think it should have been a 702926"8".
What are the repercussions of using this carb in an automatic TH400. Should I be concerned at all.
Thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cushsix, youŽll be fine.
YouŽll need to find a manifold vacuum port for the transmisson modulator though, as the M/T carb lacks this port.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Thanks kenth, I currently have the transmission modulator vacuum line hooked up to the top vacuum port on the drivers side of the carb. the bottom port (just below the top one) is being used for the hideaway headlights. I suspect that the top port is not full intake manifold vacuum but rather ported vacuum. I suspect this because the trans shifts kind of hard (jumps into gear) now. i am going to try switching the lines top to bottom and see what that does. Does this jive with your understanding of two vacuum ports on this carb. If the vacuum for the modulator is not "full intake " vacuum would these shifting problems be likely.
Thanks

Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, ported vacuum goes away on decelleration, and can cause irratic shifting at light throttle openings, coasting, etc. Move the transmission modulator to full manifold vacuum. The best source is the rear of the baseplate, there were quite a few factory 1/8" NPT fittings with more than one fitting on them......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM

Thanks cliff, The problem is I'm sitting on a M/T Quadrajet (yes wrong purchase) and it doesnt have a rear baseplate vacuum port. I need to find a full manifold vacuum port elsewhere. Can the transmission modulator be hooked up to a shared tree directly on the intake or will that compromise the function?
Thanks