Old 06-15-2008, 11:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to VergeGTO
Default Anyone have an original 19 1/2" fan?

My '64 came to me with a 5 blade 17 1/2" knockoff fan. I recently purchased what I believe to be a correct 7 blade 19 1/2" fan that I know the car originally came with. The problem I'm now having... after I installed it, is that it slightly rubs the replica fan shroud near the 6 o'clock position. The shroud looks just like the one in the Ames catalog - the one intended for the 19 1/2. (Sorry, PY didn't have a detailed image in their catalog.) Despite loosening the four retaining bolts and adjusting the shroud all the way down... it still isn't enough.

Does anyone have this kind of setup? - Original 19 1/2 fan with the replica shroud. I'm wondering if anyone else had to do any jerry-rigging to avoid the contact I'm seeing. The last thing I want to do is drill new holes in the core support. - Thanks

Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 AM

do you have a double dent for the top radiator hose or a single

Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You may not have the big fan shroud. Also, you may not have the h/d radiator unless you have factory air or ordered it somehow. I wanted to put the big fan on my 65 that has the small radiator. I asked AAmes if I could use the big shroud and was advised not to. In previous threads they tell you what your radiator support should look like for the 2 size combo's. I think the h/d big radiator support is cupped at the bottom and the std radiator is flat. I am probably wrong so you better check.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How are the motor mounts?

Also, shaving a bit off he rubber insulators on the cross member can tilt the motor/trans back a enough to give you clearance at the shroud.

It does not sound like you need much at all

Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 PM

My 15 1/2 inch radiator shroud measures 20 1/4 across and 19 7/8 top to bottom with a slant on the bottom Bet you have that one. I have an aftermarket 18 that fits in there nice

Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 AM

Default reply

FFD: It has the "double dent". Two dips on each side.
aceaceca: I'm pretty sure I have the HD radiator. It was listed on my PHS docs and the current support "could hold water" (from what I've heard/read that is a tell-tale sign that you have the HD), versus the upside down "U" of the non HD support.
Andre: I hope I don't have to traverse back to the motor mount insulators to resolve this problem. But you're right - it looks like I only need a little more clearance.
FFD: I've yet to take measurements, but the shroud looks exactly like the P152A listed in Ames, right down to the holes/slots - versus the smaller P151A's.

- The more I think of it, assuming that I have a correct 19 1/2" fan and corresponding shroud, perhaps it could be an issue with how the motor is sitting on the frame. ???

I'll post back as I find out more... hopefully with a resolution.

- Thanks all for the feedback.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Suspended

trans mount too high or motor mounts too low will cause fan to hit shroud at 6 o'clock position.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM

Default pics & follow-up

I've attached some pics to better describe my story. I'm adding these for informational/research purposes for others, but any feedback is welcome.

If after looking at my fan pics someone sees it as not what the original 19 1/2" was - please let me know.
I've also included a good shot of my shroud which I believe to be the one designed for the larger fan. Again, if anyone feels otherwise, please let me know.

And lastly, I have a shot of the oil pan's distance from the sway bar.
engineer, I'm curious if you can tell by the picture if my engine is set too low - causing the slight scuffing at the 6 o'clock position on the shroud. The resistance is REALLY slight, and I know if I turn the beast over... it will easily score out the plastic in the way, without breaking through completely. (Something I'd like to avoid if possible.) If I could just get a 1/4 to 1/2 lift of the fan (or drop of the shroud) - I'd be all set.

- thanks all

Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pictures?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 AM

Default :(

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm running into the same problem so many other users have while trying to upload pictures to this board. I've been able to upload successfully in the past, but I keep getting "upload of image failed" on this thread. I'll keep trying. (The jpg's are under the 300K restriction, so I'm not sure what is causing the fail.)

Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You will have to find a picture hosting site until PY fixes their problem. I went to Photo Bucket.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Link to pics...

(finally)

I wound up putting the pics on my local webpage. Here's the link to them;

http://home.comcast.net/~steveverge/index.html