Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Question 67 TH350 Console in a 66 GTO?

I have a TH350 in my 66 GTO 389. Works great, but shifter is ugly. Has anyone tried putting a 67 auto console into a 66? Would it work? I could try for a Hurst his-n-hers while I'm at it.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 67 console should bolt right in where the 66 console was secured. The shifter should bolt in also in the same location . The 66 and 67 i believe shared the same floor pan year to year.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate`s67gto
A 67 console should bolt right in where the 66 console was secured. The shifter should bolt in also in the same location . The 66 and 67 i believe shared the same floor pan year to year.
Thanks for that info! I'm hoping I can get the dual gate shifter under my 66 console and just swap the gate plate on top. (67 consoles are hard to find! and pricey $$ wow.)

Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I put a turbo 400 in a '66 GTO, I swapped in a whole '67 console with the Hurst dual gate. It works fine & my Son still has this car. What many people don't know is that the '66 console shifter will work fine with a three speed automatic. They were used that way in the Grand Prix. You have to push the little button down to get the stick to go back into first gear.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 PM

For 65-66 console you have to cut the hole bigger on top to use a hurst

Old 06-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayside_norm View Post
Thanks for that info! I'm hoping I can get the dual gate shifter under my 66 console and just swap the gate plate on top. (67 consoles are hard to find! and pricey $$ wow.)
I have a 67 Auto console already cut out for what you are trying to do (was originally used for a B&M shifter).
It has everything, harness too. I am not using it so will let it go. You can sell yours if it is in good shape, why cut up a good console..JMO
I am five minutes from Woodbury Commons.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg

Last edited by YVEYANT; 06-06-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT View Post
I have a 67 Auto console already cut out for what you are trying to do (was originally used for a B&M shifter).
It has everything, harness too. I am not using it so will let it go. You can sell yours if it is in good shape, why cut up a good console..JMO
I am five minutes from Woodbury Commons.
That sounds great! Thats a short ride for me... Bayside Queens... thanks! Are you looking for anything for your car??

Old 06-06-2008, 03:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr1966 View Post
When I put a turbo 400 in a '66 GTO, I swapped in a whole '67 console with the Hurst dual gate. It works fine & my Son still has this car. What many people don't know is that the '66 console shifter will work fine with a three speed automatic. They were used that way in the Grand Prix. You have to push the little button down to get the stick to go back into first gear.
YEAH! Someone who did this and knows it works!! Thanks

I drove my 66 with the original two speed shifter hooked up to the TH350 for about a year. The handle had enough room to get to the three forward gears but the detents only provide for two stops. (I had a reverse shift tranny just to make things more complicated). The only way I could get it to work was to disable the detent mechanism at the shifter. It took a pretty light touch to feel the tranny click into gear... something I don't have, hahah.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayside_norm View Post
That sounds great! Thats a short ride for me... Bayside Queens... thanks! Are you looking for anything for your car??
No, but thanks. I still have a bunch of little extra parts I am looking to get rid of.
I don't like to accumulate too much stuff. Let me know when you want to come up.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 06-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT View Post
No, but thanks. I still have a bunch of little extra parts I am looking to get rid of.
I don't like to accumulate too much stuff. Let me know when you want to come up.
Will do. I'm taking a trunkload of parts out to Carlisle as well... probably return with even more! Look forward to it.

Norm