Old 05-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fair Price for Headliner Installation

Hi,
What is a reasonable price to pay to have an auto upholstery shop install a headliner.
I have already bought the headliner from SMS Auto Fabrics.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-23-2008, 05:56 PM

2 hours at $75 around here.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

I had one installed in my 70 GTO about 3 months ago for $120.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I paid $100 a few years ago for my 68 gto.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
I got two quotes one for $330 and the other for $350. Maybe they didn't listen to me when I said that I already had purchased the headliner. I guess I need to keep looking around.
Mike

Old 05-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah well in this town there is only 2 folks that are listed in the phone book that do it .
But for $300 i would think about doing it myself,,There was a post some were on this form that had a link from a chevy board, and it had some nice pics and all the steps the guy did to do it hisself.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:50 PM

Default Headliner

Make sure he knows what he is doing. If he is any good he will have you come to his shop so he can use his gule/Air gun. and will lay out the old & new headliner side by side and keep the metal runners in order if they aren't it's not going to look right!. Get in the car with him and help him put it in, it will be easier for two. If you can find new wind lash to use will make it stay up better. The back corner parts should fit good to, I forgot their names(windsails)? It should cost around $100 to $120. maybe a 20 dollar tip if he is real good. When the guy is good it really is easy.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
The best I found around here is $175.00.
Am scheduled for 11 Jun. I will take a day of vacation from work and be there for the removal of the old one and installation of the new one.
Mike

Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
Have you considering trying to install it yourself?
Headliner installation isn't that hard to do & even if you ruin the headliner, the kit itself is fairly inexpensive. Doing it yourself gives you the chance to learn how to do something new on your car & you'll probably be more careful with your car than the trim shop you take it to!

The first one is always the toughest, after you do and see how it works you can then help your buddies when they do their cars! (or better yet help your buddy do his car first, learn what not to do, then do your car!)

Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
I did the swap on my carpet. What a job. Pulled out the seats, console, seat belts, 8-Track, heater deflector, etc. Spent the first hour just looking at the floor pan and trying to figure out how far forward and up to put the front edge of the carpet. Finally cut the hole for the shifter. After that it went pretty quickly. Any mistakes I made were small and were covered up the the seats/console. I was sore for a week afterwards. At 60 I'm not a limber as I used to be. I really don't want to try to tackle the headliner. If I screw it up, it will be obvious to the world forever. The only reason I am replacing the original one is because 38 years ago my dad and a friend of his poked two holes in the panel above the front seats. Rifle barrels will do that when you are in a hurry to exit a vehicle while deer hunting. Otherwise it is tight and unfaded. SMS Auto Fabrics made me a perfect match replacement.
So I will assist the guy at the upholstery shop and be happy when it is done.
Mike