Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Important info if you are going to hire someone! Make sure they have workman's comp. Not that they say they have it-that they provide you with a policy number and you verify. If someone falls off your roof and get disabled-not killed they will be coming after you!!!! (he was going to make 200k for the next 50 years)The next thing is never pay a roofer any money up front. Shingles are not that expensive. If they can't afford to purchase the shingles, they are not the company you want to deal with. Make them also sign a lien wavier that states they have paid for the materials and the labor. Last thing you want is a lien on your house and the contractor has skipped out. I have seen problems with all of the above on several occasions. Now in regards to a Home Inspector's comments on the roof (I am one) you ca be certain that it will come up on the inspection report. How it is described can vary significantly. Some may make a big issue of it, others may not. Many buyers would be hesitant when multiple layers are present. It is not the Inspectors job to do anything other than observe, report and recommend an action. Failure to note the presence of multiple layers of shingles leaves him open for any liability. An Inspectors job is not to put the squeeze on sellers. (Sellers usually do a good job of this themselves by failing to maintain their house)

Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They'll finish this afternoon. So far it looks great, a lot like a ....... new roof. They are using Atlas, "Pinnacle" brand dimensional shingles in Pewter. The shingles carry a 35 year warranty and Atlas has no issues with roof overs when done correctly. Says so right on the packaging. The only stipulation is that the roofing that the new shingles go over has to be flat. Not curled. Mine is like new in that respect. They also require a layer of felt paper over the old shingles and my roofers have done that. Also stipulates a certain length nail. Atlas will not warranty a new roof on top of more than one existing roof.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David - that was amazingly fast! The contractor either has a very large crew or doesn't have a bunch of work lined up.

Just be sure to check their flashing, and if you can, walk the roof and check for any visible defects - lifted nails, nails below the cover line, wide joints, joints lined up with one another etc.. They should stand out fairly clearly when you are up there, but are not visible from the ground.

Chris

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss
David - that was amazingly fast! The contractor either has a very large crew or doesn't have a bunch of work lined up.

Just be sure to check their flashing, and if you can, walk the roof and check for any visible defects - lifted nails, nails below the cover line, wide joints, joints lined up with one another etc.. They should stand out fairly clearly when you are up there, but are not visible from the ground.

Chris
Chris I think "doesn't have a bunch of work lined up" fits. I know quite a few guys that do various types of home improvement work. Flooring, landscape and complete home building. Not busy in every case.

These guys did 2 other houses in my area (that I know of) before me. I'll bet they came by those jobs the same way as mine.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 05-09-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM

Glad it is working out for you David. I am glad to hear that that he put paper over the old roof and used the appropriate nail, a lot of guys will just use what they have on their trucks regardless. I would have guessed about 2-1/2 days without a tear off with a crew of 3-4 guys.

How do you like the look of the dimensional shingle? I think they look a lot better than the traditional 3-tab. A roof can change the whole look of a house. Post some pics if you feel like sharing.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedfinger67
Glad it is working out for you David. I am glad to hear that that he put paper over the old roof and used the appropriate nail, a lot of guys will just use what they have on their trucks regardless. I would have guessed about 2-1/2 days without a tear off with a crew of 3-4 guys.

How do you like the look of the dimensional shingle? I think they look a lot better than the traditional 3-tab. A roof can change the whole look of a house. Post some pics if you feel like sharing.
I should be able to put some photo's up this afternoon maybe. I love the look.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Taken at 6:15am after a night of storms.
It's still wet.

Last edited by David Jones; 11-12-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Roof looks good David, so does the yard! Just looking at your pic makes me want to live in the South. My Aunt and Uncle lived in Birmingham for a long time, I used to visit on weekends while I was in the USAF and stationed in Boloxi. I fell in love the the Gold Coast too. Cool that Alabama goes from Pine trees to Beach in a couple of hours.