Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Default Manual Trans question

I have a 68 with a 4 speed muncie from a 65 gto. I like this trans and the ratios etc. but it leaks out the front quite a bit. I had the trans out last weekend and noted that when the nosepiece on the front of the trans is taken off, the shaft can move around quite a bit. I did not find a seal in the front of the trans as I expected, so I'm not sure how to keep it from leaking. There is a paper seal, and I just used silicone, but I can see that it is leaking already. First rookie question, should the shaft have such excessive movement? ( I assume that it should not it just seems wrong). Second, what seals the front of this trans? I suppose that it needs to be rebuilt, but it shifts very well and it is not noisy. It was low on fluid for a long period of use when it leaked and I did not know that it was so low. It was noisier at that time but I sort of got used to it over time and did not notice. I can tell now that it is much quieter. The tailshaft was leaking and I needed to replace the part that is attached to the driveshaft as it was very worn and the seal could no longer seal it. I thought that was the only leak, but after filling the trans I found the front leak.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Reed

Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like rebuild time
You might want to upgrade to a 66+ tranny.
The front only "seals" via oil control.
Once the bearing gets sloppy you lose the oil control.
Im guessing your input shaft bearing retainer (what you describe as "nosepiece")is shot too.