Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Rollback Trailers

I asked this in the lobby, but maybe that was the wrong place. I know you racers have trailers so I will ask it here. If this is against the forum rules then just delete this post and I will find another way to get my answer.

I have been looking at trailers on the internet and all of the different options available. I found one that seems real interesting to me. The non hydraulic rollback. I have seen a couple of different veriations. One that I saw had a piece of thick flat bar cut at an angle welded onto the pivot deck. I would think this would be a clearance problem. The other that I saw does not have this. I am interested in how they get the deck to tilt. Are they letting the over hang weight of the deck force it down? Is this feasible. I would think there would be alot of drag on this poor thing.

Does anyone have photos of their rollback that I could see so my inquiring mind could let this sit at ease. I would like to get a trailer and I figure that if I am going to spend the money to get one I want it to last, therefore I want it to be something that I will not regret later on. My father in-law and I could use the crap out of a trailer as he lives on a farm and is always buying stuff.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default trailers

The coolest one ive seen had a walking axle under it you pulled spring loaded pins on both sides then applied the trailer brakes and backed up the axle and fenders slid forwared and the trailer hit the ground. Once you loaded you left the brakes on and pulled forward and the pins went back in place and you were done. Unfortantly I do not know the brand. I work at a dealership and see all kinds and this was the neatest one. But with trailers simpler is many times the best. A reagular trailer and a winch are hard to beat.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were me I'd just go with a conventional trailer with just a "Beaver Tail" and slide out adjustable ramps...Keep it simple...less things to go wrong ! Just add a winch and that's it...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked into the Texas rollback trailers because my car is pretty low and hangs up on my beaver tail trailer, nice trailers,but almost as expensive as an enclosed trailer.I use car ramps now and back my truck on them to get the front of the trailer up so the car comes off easier.People look at me funny but it works,

1970 Lemans Convertible,462,6x-4, 234/242 cam.3.42 posi.12.55@109,4100 lbs...SOLD....

1968 Firebird , 467 , KRE d-ports ,stock type suspension,3100lbs
(1.30 60')(6.08 1/8)(113.43)different runs 9.59 @140.71 on E85 all motor
8.97@148.63 on 150 shot
Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have considered this http://www.kwikload.com/ there is a new dealer locally that sells them.

Sweetjudge on PY has a kwikload and loves it.

It is the way to go for low car.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I built my open trailer when starting to race. It has a roll back feature has plenty of rear clearance and only uses 4' ramps. The tongue pivots and the 16' deck tilts with vehicle weight. I've used it with everything from cars. trucks. light tractors, farm machinery, hay, firewood, construction materials and even low racecars. It's light, rugged and tows like a dream.

If you're interested in building something similar I can scan and post photos,

Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A KWIK LOAD trailer is by far the best open trailer out there. I sold mine to buddy, but i can still use it.
i used to load my prostreet car 3" ground clearance on that trailer bymyself before anyone could pull thier ramps out.

QUICK, Easy Affordable & slammers fit on them. do a google search or IM HERE if you need additional input

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Not sure about a "rollback" trailer but my father hada tilting trailer that worked great.........dont remember the brand because it was about 22 years ago.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Amy (Herdswoman) had a tilting trailer that worked well.

I really like the trailer in your link John.

I tore the spoiler off my TA going in my enclosed trailer, with the nose raised. Lowered cars look good but are a B&*&^ to load.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 PM

The quikload is the trailer that I saw that I could not tell how it operates. What does it roll on, how does it not lide side to side, is it the wieght of the trailer that allows it to tilt back?

Does anyone have pictures to show any of this?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a very timely thread. Ive been trailer shopping for a few weeks. Looked at the sloan kwikload, liked what I saw, and long story short, there is a dealer in Scottsdale (who has one) and Im going to go take a look at it in the next couple of weeks. Seems to be a well thought out concept. My current project is pretty low, and I can say loading it on a regular ramp type trailer would have been a problem.

I appreciate all the input here.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default trailer

The guy that had the trailer I saw said the only problem they had was they had to keep the brakes ajusted regularly which is not a bad thing anyways.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the hydraulic tilt I have and it works wonderful. Fenders come off easy as do wheel chaulks up front. Winch is a little slow for my taste, but once you get the car half way up you can let the bed down still keeping tension on wire. Mine under/around $3800 three years ago.

http://www.southag.com/Trailers/pch16.htm

There is a roll back trailer I have seen at shows made in TEXAS that is a different animal but quite a bit more as much as a tilt (the one I saw anyway)

http://www.trailersnmore.net/texas.htm and also.......

http://www.rollbacktrailers.com/

Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

This is an interesting alternative if you already own a trailer.

http://www.tiltahitch.com/index.htm