Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 AM

Default Intake advice

I have a 67 400 that I wish to install in my 326 Lemans. I have a set of 6x heads and 2801 cam. I have been reading here that the stock intake manifold is as good or perhaps superior to the Performer intake (I have a 600 edlbroke carb) that I was considering installing. Does anyone have any recommendation on what Intake I should choose? Are there any better options? Thanks, your advice is appreciated. Cal

Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiaccal
I have a 67 400 that I wish to install in my 326 Lemans. I have a set of 6x heads and 2801 cam. I have been reading here that the stock intake manifold is as good or perhaps superior to the Performer intake (I have a 600 edlbroke carb) that I was considering installing. Does anyone have any recommendation on what Intake I should choose? Are there any better options? Thanks, your advice is appreciated. Cal
Put a Performer intake on your 400.

The stock intakes won't mate up to the E-carbs without using a hokey adapter that messes up the flow, a Q-jet carb is pretty much the only carb that fits the stock intakes.

The 600 E-carb will mate right up to the Performer intake as will a Q-jet if you ever decide to run one, the Performer intake will run quite well on a mild street 400 like the one you're putting together.

Out of all the aftermarket intakes out there the Performer is really the best match for your engine in my opinion.

Myself, I'd sell the E-carb and run a Q-jet carb on the stock intake (my 1st choice ) or the Performer intake.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

B-man is right. If you want something a bit more then a stock intake, the Performer is the way to go. I like the E-carbs, but for the street a good Q-jet is hard to beat. My Firebird ran a best of 12.06@114mph with a 3.64 gear and would get 12+ miles to the gallon on the highway driving to the US nationals 200 miles away.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the help guys...I think I will get a Performer to put on since I already have the E-carb. Now...if I could only figure out what rear-end ratio.....hmmmmmmmm

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiaccal
Thanks for the help guys...I think I will get a Performer to put on since I already have the E-carb. Now...if I could only figure out what rear-end ratio.....hmmmmmmmm
To find your rear end ratio jack one rear tire off the ground. Then get under (be careful, use jackstands/wood blocks front and back to block the tires so the car can't roll!) and spin the driveshaft with the trans in neutral. Mark the driveshaft and the tire, then count the number of driveshaft turns that it takes to make the wheel go 'round exactly two times.

If you get a hair more than 3-1/2 turns of the shaft, you've got 3.55s, about 3-1/4 turns, 3.23s, etc.

The above method works for open rears, for a posi rear (posi must be working properly) get both tires off the ground and count the turns of the shaft for exactly one tire revolution.