67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Default New playing field, little help?

I am looking into buying a first generation Firebird and am not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Are there any problems with the car that I would want to avoid(if possible)? What price should I be looking for relative to the condition? How can I find the options the original car came with from the VIN? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Caitlin

Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you can contact phs for the info from your vin number. price would depend on the car, options and condition of the car.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

avoiding rust is always a plus...depending on condition , price wil vary , also if its a convertible vs. coupe, stick or automatic, OHC6 or V8, do you have your sights on something specific?

when you DO find one a PHS ,as mentioned abv ,will help you determine if its "as built", numbers matching ,if thats of interest to you...value will be higher with numbers match car...
you can also get more info from fgf , a first gen firebird only site...http://www.firstgenfirebird.org/
even though PY is also very good for info. on these.

also ,there is a "purchasing and values guide" on that site, here:http://firstgenfirebird.org/FAQ/misc/value.html
, note ,its a 'guide', since some values are a few years old, but its a good guide as what different items are worth vs others...

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-26-2007, 07:42 PM

I am looking for a car with no rust or close to no rust, preferably a convertible but not necessary, definitely a stick, would love to find a numbers matching, I don't want a ton of interior work needed, and as far as options(again preferred but not necessary), a/c, am/fm radio, tac on the hood, and hood scoops. Thanks for the website.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

also ,it may help to know which part of the country you are located in to help you locate a car? like Calif., Texas or Florida....or up north...just mo

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a newbie, PHS is Pontiac Historic Services. They will send you, for $50.00 (more if you need a fax of it), a packet that will include an invoice of what should have came on the car when sent to the dealer. Website is http://www.phs-online.com

Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Thanks Ransom. I'm in Colorado. I know there's not much selection on cars for sale in the winter, but I would really like to have a car I can work on by summer.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

from fgf ...and I have no idea on your price range, and rioz is not THAT far away from you

Quote:
68 Firebird for sale, one of three. gdayley gdayley

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
(75.210.126.248) I have 3 Firebirds and want to sell 1 of them.
1) 68 Coupe, 350 HO, 4 speed auto, fron disk brakes, vintage air, alum radiator with electric fan, magnetic red (2004 Corvette) parchment interior, great car, I drive it all over Arizona. Completed 4 years ago body off. Show winner. I will sell for $25,000.
2) 68 Convertible, OHC 6 sprint. Numbers matching. The car is currently in body shop ground up restoration. OHC 6 is at Primeatech Motor Sports being overhauled. 3 speed transmission. I have 12,000 in the car plus the cost of the overhaul. The paint will be $6000 to $7000. I belive the finished cost will be around 24,000 to 25,000. I will sell the car for what I have it it.
3) 68 400 Convertible. I purchased the car in CA. It had gone through a fire. No drivetrain. I installed LS2 (2004) with a 5 speed transmission, 3.55 posi. Complete body off restoration. New everything. Hotchkiss subframe connectors. Victory Red (2007 Corvette) White top with Red interior. I will take $40,000 for the car.
I dont want to sell these cars, however, need the room for new projects.
I will sell one of the three cars. Grant Dayley 602-321-7063

Edited by gdayley (December 04, 2007 06:34 PM)

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

another from fgf...

Quote:
1969 Firebird for sale #s matching orig.OHC 6 L.B.Classics L.B.Classics

Loc: Long Beach, Ca.90807
(71.108.156.30)

Selling my Bird, thought id try you guys before it goes on eBay, give me a call or email if interested. It runs like new but will need some drivers side quarter work but not that bad. no rust just dent. and needs paint but mostly complete car. original California

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 AM

Thanks. As far as price goes I was looking for somewhat of a project car. I don't have the time or money to do any ground up restorations. I was hoping for something around twenty or less in relatively good condition. Would love a V8 in a '67 or '68.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

something like this? a new ad for today on fgf...

1967 convertible
robertallen robertallen

Loc: mi
(71.10.50.23) 1967 convertible needs finishing-has 1968 400 rebuilt--350 trans rebuilt--new quarters new bumpers new top alot of new crome --ppg bccc needs rubed-- $12,000 if i knew how to post pics i would so send a email and i will send you some(ram220@charter.net)

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Stay away from cars with body damage, it is by far the most expensive aspect of a vehicle. take your hand and go around the wheelwells on the quarters and feel the lip, and top of lip for bondo common place for it to be. If you buy a car with a Vinyl top thinking you migh have it removed and have the roof painted Think AGAIN mucho $$$ unless of course you are a body man, Another note is alot of our cars came with 4 wheel drum brakes they suck! You can convert it over as I did for about 600 bucks with all new stuff. Just a few tips.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipCream990
Thanks. As far as price goes I was looking for somewhat of a project car. I don't have the time or money to do any ground up restorations. I was hoping for something around twenty or less in relatively good condition. Would love a V8 in a '67 or '68.
Look in the Firebird picture thread for post #85. I posted 2 pictures of my Bird purchased in January 2006 for slightly less than $20K. It is a numbers mathing 400 with 62,000 miles, a completely original and basically perfect interior with original carpet and door sill plates, original vinyl top, exterior color and engine compartment repainted. The carb, alternator and windshield washer pump were not original. I took a first at our local AACA show (a fairly large show) after finding a restored alternator, some fender bolt clean up and miscellaneous engine compartment items. For $20K, you may be able to find a pretty nice car. Of course convertibles are more expensive, but a nice 350 convertible might be purchased in this same range if you look hard enough. I did searches on the internet for quite a while to find a couple of nice original 400 coupes. I was not picky about the price, but you may have to search for a while to find what you want.

When you find a really nice car, go immediately is my advice. I missed a red 400 that was just as nice for $25,000 in Virginia. Someone got it before I got there. Also, someone from CA was trying to buy my Bird for the asking price when I went to see it in Washington State. If you find a really original and nice car, it may not last long.

Good luck and search often!

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 PM

I've been trying to avoid and serious body damage as well as bondo(which I now know where to look for, thanks Raron) and rust. I'm more of an engine work girl than anything else.
Yeah, I've been looking a couple times a day. Mostly for something local. I found a car I really liked and called the guy about six or eight hours after he posted it and it was already sold. It was numbers matching, claimed to be showroom condition, about fifteen miles away from me, convertible, tach on the hood, nice paint from what I could tell, claimed no body work, and a nice interior from what the pictured showed. The guy wanted about $13.5 for it. I was a little sad. It was the closed I had come to finding the car I want for even less than I would expect. How long did you have to look to find the car you wanted Bet Winner? I am trying to be as patient as possible while searching.
Do you have any websites that would be good to use while looking for this car?

Old 12-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipCream990
I've been trying to avoid and serious body damage as well as bondo(which I now know where to look for, thanks Raron) and rust. I'm more of an engine work girl than anything else.
Yeah, I've been looking a couple times a day. Mostly for something local. I found a car I really liked and called the guy about six or eight hours after he posted it and it was already sold. It was numbers matching, claimed to be showroom condition, about fifteen miles away from me, convertible, tach on the hood, nice paint from what I could tell, claimed no body work, and a nice interior from what the pictured showed. The guy wanted about $13.5 for it. I was a little sad. It was the closed I had come to finding the car I want for even less than I would expect. How long did you have to look to find the car you wanted Bet Winner? I am trying to be as patient as possible while searching.
Do you have any websites that would be good to use while looking for this car?
Firstgenfirebird site
Collectorcartrader
hemmings
Carsonline

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6