Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Chief

Question stripe graphics on a '79 T/A

I saw this ad in our freebie trader, and it says "original paint and graphics,".
Tried calling the guy to ask if that is what it means, but I got an answering machine.
Has anyone seen a T/A with graphics like this from the factory/dealer?
http://www.auto-rv.com/browse.aspx?AdName=CI5270251

I was wondering if that could be a very rare dealer installed option or something.
Albiet a bit gawdy, I thought it looks sorta OK, if you are not one who hates yellow cars.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW!
Looks like it belongs on a VAN.
I'll bet it has gold shag carpet inside.

Retro YES,Factory NO!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM

Not a factory stripe job. It doesn't even resemble any "tuner" decals that were out back then.

Member of P.O.C.I. and GTOAA.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly
Not a factory stripe job. It doesn't even resemble any "tuner" decals that were out back then.
Not to argue, but my first impression was they looked very similar to a stripe package I've seen on some '78 or '79 F-150 pickups. In a way, that weekly ties them into that same time period.
It's a WS6 4-speed, the seller has owned for eight years. He has the window sticker and other original documents. I'm going to do a little detective work to see what I can come up with. Even if it is obvious that the stripes are add on, I will get some enjoyment checking the car out.
P.S. I don't plan on rubbing the owner's face in it, so keep a lid on it, if you will, please.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 PM

I meant Firebird tuner cars (Mechams Macho T/A come to mind). I do recall seeing that style on other models of cars and trucks. Looks like a J.C. Witney cover car.

Member of P.O.C.I. and GTOAA.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly
Looks like a J.C. Witney cover car.
OR Car & Craft,but really need the tacky big & little Centerlines with N50's,air shocks & shingles on the back window to make the cover

Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

That is one ugly bastard!!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyW
That is one ugly bastard!!
Ditto.........

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Next best thing to a Woody Trans am.

The bonus is, if you can't tell what model car it is from the fender, you can just read the bigger text on the door.

There's just certain things that should never happen to a car.......

The last time I saw colors like that, was when I was looking at those little color shade sample cards at the home depot's house paint dept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgExplore.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	109063  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA

Last edited by 68ragtop; 10-25-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First thing I thought of when seeing it was how it resembled a plastic model kit from Revell or Monogram of that time period. Could be a dealer only type car.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default Follow Up

I was thinking the stripes were inspired by the factory tri-color stripes on Z-28s of that vintage, 79-80. One of the previous owners must have wanted that "look".

I checked the car out in person yesterday afternoon. It turns out to be a legit WS6 T/A with 400 4-speed and disc brake rearend. Paint is the original Sundance yellow.
The hood bird is noticably more faded than the stripes, and you can tell the stripes are add on. Still, somebody did a pretty darn nice job of making them stop and start around each obsticle, so that it looks "factory".
Obviously whoever had it striped went overboard with the Trans Am lettering on the doors and the stripes wrapping up over and onto the decklid. I knew seeing this car would make some of the members here cringe. Still, you have to admit, there must have been very few '79 Trans Ams produced in Sundance yellow.
This one was built in late October of 1978 and sold in December '78 out of Cinncinatti, OH. The current owner is the third since new. He reported that he has only put about 2,000 miles on it in nine years. It has 73K on it now. It became evident when talking to him, that the party he bought it from gave him the ficticious information about the stripes being original. It was also supposedly some kind of a "special Ohio edition".

FYI, No tilt wheel or cruise control. Manual windows. Oyster interior with black carpet.
Still has the inflatable spare, never on the ground.
Only other non-original parts (besides stripes) Slightly hotter cam, swivel oil pickup, flush fit headers, valve covers (allthough they looked stock to me).

Tom