Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default Power source for shaker hood scoop solenoids

Maybe someone can help me with this. I'm trying to install new solenoids into my '71 shaker scoop. When I installed the engine I ordered a new engine wiring harness from AMES (they said it was the "correct one" but you know how that goes). It only has the provision (male spade terminal) for the idle stop solenoid. I don't see a second one to power the carburetor switch that feeds the solenoids. I've looked in my '71 service manual, and can't find the wiring diagram for the shaker solenoids in the appropriate chapters. I know how the wiring runs from the switch to the solenoids, with the ground back to the firewall from the scoop. Does anyone know where the carburetor switch gets its power from? I assume the power is "switched," that is, it is only "hot" when the ignition key is in the "run" position. Any help is appreciated...

Alan

Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should have two male blade connectors. The one for the solenoid has a round rubber grommet and for the shaker solenoids its just the normal black plastic cover over the terminal. The one for the shaker solenoids is taped to the outside of the plastic tubing were it runs along the valve cover.

The replacement from M&H Wiring is the "latest" design and you need the secondary harness that plugs into the engine harness, then to the switch, and then up to the shaker. The original harness on my Sept 1970 build 1971 Trans Am was all one peice.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Chief

Can you supply any part numbers for the M&H harnesses?

Alan

Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Ames part numbers are:

15985 1971 Trans Am engine harness w/o A/C
36163 1971 Trans Am engine harness w/ AC
15880 shaker RA switch harness
17155 shaker solenoid harness

Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fanatic, I think youll find the wire is folded over inside the casing and hidden from view. Mine had it and of course I dont need power to get my "Ram Air" but the wire was in the harness anyway.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior Chief

Now I've got to check. I ordered the 15985 from AMES and installed it in the car. It had the idle stop solenoid terminal taped close to the harness just behind the alternator, along with the water temp sensor plug. Since I didn't see any "extra" terminals for the shaker scoop (or Ram Air for Formulas), I assumed it probably wasn't the correct harness.

I've got to travel to Galveston, TX for the next week, and will "open" up the harness some to see if the terminal is there. Sounds like it should be. Thanks to Dens71TA and Formulabruce for the help. Much appreciated!! Now if I was only free to go to the T/A Nats! Oh well, I'll make it sometime in the future. Thanks again.

Alan

Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

same harness, I had to beg to get it built as they build to order. I ran a new hei wire and removed that from my harness, but I found it inside, good luck, happy hunting!!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

My 15985 does have the extra plastic terminal for the shaker scoop solenoids. It wasn't powered when I checked for voltage, but the owner's manual identified the location for the fuse - which wasn't there. A simple installation of a new AGC 10 amp fuse, and I'm back in business! Again, a sincere thanks to Formulabruce and Dens71TA for the info.

Alan