Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Correct Wheels & Tires

Newbie post, go easy
Recently (well not so recently) purchased 66 GTO mostly restored. Previous owner went with 15" rims/tires, suspect from 67. While this is not a show car, I am thinking of going back to original 14". Anyone made this decision? What's involved in going back if that's the right choice?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure Pontiac had 15" rims in 67' .. Anyway, I went with 15" rims on MY 67'. I have two sets of 15" wheels, Cragar SS's and Rally II's. I'm sticking with the 15's for the simple fact that they fill the wheel wells better and gives an overall better look. It doesn't hurt that you get a little better gas mileage from the 15's albeit to little a gain to really notice. The Cragars are on the car now while the Rally II's are mothballed for a later time. I also have the original set of 14" Rally II's mothballed. If you plan to go back there is nothing more involved than buying the wheels and tires. Simplest change you could ever think of making. What kind of wheels are on the car now, 15" what?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome to the Forum!

Simple change. Take the 15s off and bolt the 14s on. Your speedometer may start reading correctly if the speedo gear wasn't changed when 15" wheels installed. Also your odometer.

JMO but I always liked having the correct sized tires on 66/67 GTOs. Probably because that's the way I first saw them back in the 60s. Also prefer the look of Ralley 1s or Poverty Caps with steel wheels. Others will have other opinions.

Post some pictures up of your GTO when you have a chance. Ram Air pan with the Tri-Power looks good in your avatar! Jim

Old 06-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTO Jim
Welcome to the Forum!

Simple change. Take the 15s off and bolt the 14s on. Your speedometer may start reading correctly if the speedo gear wasn't changed when 15" wheels installed. Also your odometer.
Good point..Checked my speedo out after the change and see there is a very minor difference of around 1-2 mph from the 14" wheels.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Welcome to the site!!
I see you already made the swap, I was just wondering if you had front disc brakes on the car and if so, did you have any clearance problems with the
14" rims?

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Chief

Car was purchased with Rally II wheels, drum brakes all around. Always liked the looks of Cragar SS wheel, thinking hard about going to those. Also thinking hard about disc brake conversion, but time and space to work on car is limited

Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do some research before you decide on the Cragars. They are a unilug wheel, and are prone to problems with balancing and excess runout. I had a set on my car and could not get rid of the different vibrations in the car at different speeds until i got rid of Cragars. Too bad too, because i liked the way they looked. Do a search on the forum here, and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed the Stainless Steel Brake System disc brake conversion on my 66 GTO in 2001. Had to do some minor grinding to fit the 14" rims on. The rims are the aftermarket Ralley1s from Dennis Kirban that are sold through all the major vendors. These are designed for the 67 Pontiac disc brakes, but the conversion kit is based on the 69 Camaro front disc brake assembly. Sometime when I have the front wheels off, I will take pictures of the minor grinding I had to do, as this topic comes up from time to time. No problems with the minor grinding after 6 years and thousands of miles driving!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but wanted to answer the question.

I agree with Cardo on the Cragar SS. I know folks that had issues with them. They look great and are period correct for a 66 GTO though. I always liked the look of the Keystones better on the 66/67 for an aftermarket wheel. The blacked out area did it for me vs the all chrome look of the Cragar SS. IMHO Jim

Old 06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have 15" Rally II's I like the way they fill up the wheel well as well

Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

get some 14 inch tires and wheels and bolt on...

Old 06-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo
Do some research before you decide on the Cragars. They are a unilug wheel, and are prone to problems with balancing and excess runout. I had a set on my car and could not get rid of the different vibrations in the car at different speeds until i got rid of Cragars. Too bad too, because i liked the way they looked. Do a search on the forum here, and you'll see what i'm talking about.
I have the Cragar SS's w/ the unilug... I too have heard of people having issues with these wheels on internet blogs but I have had these on my car for 4 years now and never had a problem with balancing. Straight and true with no vibrations other than the real sweet ones coming from under my hood!!! There are also other guys in my car club who have the unilugs with no issues.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for all the wheel input, and thanks to 66GTO Jim for the reference to the Keystone wheels, I had forgotten about those and I do like that look. What about tires? It's got BFG radials on it now, I like the look of the Coker tire

Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

I've got BFG's...Love em!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	95285  

Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have a limited choice of tires for the 14" size, and proably the reason many of us went to the 15's. Most manufacturers have dropped many of the larger sizes of 14" tires; and to get any real meat or a higher speed rating, the 15's are the only way to go. I'm running the '67 GTO poverty caps on my 15" steel wheels and very few people even notice.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am currently running BFG RWL 225-70R14. It is the exact same height and outer diameter as the original 775-14 Redlines. Did a side by side comparsions with an original Redline and various tires years ago.

When these wear out, or more probably are old enough to worry about dry rot, I will replace them with either Coker or Diamond Redline radials of this size. Jim

Old 06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Chief

tried to post pics, don't know if it is working
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From_rear.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	95776   Click image for larger version

Name:	From_side.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	95777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_view.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	95778  

Old 06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for posting the pics! Your car looks great! The Rallye IIs always make a 66 look like a 67 to me, just MHO. Both great looking cars, but many subtle and not so subtle differnces. Jim

Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Chief

A 66 GTO just like this was my very first car, but then I really wanted a 67 later on. I agree completely on the look of the Rallye II's reminding me of the 67, that's why in an earlier post I said I thought these came off a 67, although now I think not based on the size. Ironically, I had never removed the wheels since I purchased the car last Sep so this weekend I did so and managed to break a wheel stud putting one back on.