67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 PM

Default I hate "what's it worth" threads but I need some guidance...

I'm not that familiar with first generations so I need some guidance. I'm going to make an offer on this car and I have no idea where to start.

Two owner, Florida car. 1968 Firebird 400, 4spd, original engine (#16 heads), no A/C, no ram air package, hood tach, deluxe green interior, power windows and power disk brakes. Paint over 8 years old (I'd say a 6-7 out of 10), light green color. Engine rebuilt to stock specs as well as suspension about 6 years ago. Odometer reads 45k but I suspect it's 145K. Trunk is clean as well as quarters and fenders although I suspect some bondo. A few rust bubbles on the edge of the hood and the lower back glass. A good driver quality 20/20 car. It's all there but could probably use a paint job and some interior work.

Is this car or color combination particularly rare?

What's a fair offer or what would a car like this go for these days?

I know, I know it's really tough to tell without pictures but can somebody give me an idea besides, "it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Florida Firebird

Old 06-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Chief

Rust bubbles? Under the paint? Thats gonna knock it down a good bit, to me anyways. That means its gonna need more than just a scuff-n-shoot paint job, and it usually means theres more bad spots that are hidden. If I were you, Id do some serious pokin around in the areas prone to rust for more signs. Im not sure about the rarity of the color, drivetrain, etc, as Im no expert But Id think itd be worth anywhere from $7-14k, depending. I realize this probably dont help much, but it really IS hard to even guess without seeing it

Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These questions are as hard to answer as they are to ask

Somewhere in the 7 - 10 range and closer to 7 the better.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You dont say convertible , so I assume its a coupe....yeah 7-9 is my guess esp. with the rust bubbles...
11-14 if convert.....

I paid 8 for my vert 7 yrs ago ,had some rust issues..but also non matching engine, cracked w/s, ripped top, interior pieces missing etc,etc,

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 PM

I paid $5500 for my 68 vert six years ago. It's cost me much more since then. I't was a 350 2bbl car with AC. Depending on the kind of money you think it will need over the next couple of years, I'd think $10 - 14k since it's a 400 4sp car.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFirebird
Two owner, Florida car. 1968 Firebird 400, 4spd, original engine (#16 heads), no A/C, no ram air package, hood tach, deluxe green interior, power windows and power disk brakes.
I think you can go to the higher end of the numbers listed here if the air cleaner, carb, intake, heads, block, distributor, alternator, idle stop solenoid, TVS, brackets, etc are original/present and in good condition. You can check the numbers and casting dates to see if most of these parts are original. Make sure to check the block VIN. In my opinion, original 400 cars, especially 4-speeds, are hard to find. Some don't really care too much about that, but the guys that do are willing to pay for it. Let me know if you need any help with the dating and codes. You can find most of them in charts on the internet. (The intake part number was changed later in the 68 model year, and most charts only show this late 68 number as 69.) Also, if the front and rear bumpers are in good shape, that's a plus. A very complete car with most of the original pieces puts you ahead of the game if you want an original appearing car.
Good luck,
Michael

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll go drive it, check all the block, engine #'s and go over it with a fine tooth comb as well as make a list of what it needs.

I'm vacationing in NC in a couple weeks and gonna look at a '74 TA. I'm going to wind up with one of them. I'll see which is the better deal but I'm leaning towards teh '68.

Thanks again,

FF