Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunNick
the dealer called me back today and asked me if I would pay for the PHS to prove there point to me that it is a Ram Air IV, if I do not buy the car they said they will pay me for the document, yea right.........
Don't you just love dealing with "dealers" like this? They want to sell you a car for $30k+ yet they won't spend $35 to back up what they're saying the car is?

Check the vin located on the front of the block by the timing cover, if it matches the car's vin & it is YS code your looking at a base GTO/auto car.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there any type of charge (cost) listed on the "window sticker" applying to an engine option ? YS with 13 heads would be the base 400cid/350hp for automatic, and a no-cost inclusion on a GTO.

Maybe it has RAM AIR IV decals on the hood.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Chief

shouldn't a Ram Air car have a underdash switch to open and close the flaps on a 70, this car doesn't have one?

Old 05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Chief

Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Chief

I see no switch and no hoses..... Just decals.....
I still do not understand the reason the radiator tank is brass and why the scoopes are black.....

Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunNick
I see no switch and no hoses..... Just decals.....
I still do not understand the reason the radiator tank is brass and why the scoopes are black.....
Nick,
Most older cars had copper tanks, nothing to worry about there. It wasn't until the 80's that plastic tank/aluminum cores became the normal radiator type.

Whoever built/painted the car probably thought the black scoops looked good & finished them that way. Are the scoops metal or plastic? Original RA scoops were a plastic/fiberglass material. Non-RA scoops were pot metal but could be cut open with a dremel tool & some time. Does the underside of the hood have the RA plate bolted to it? Without the RA cable under the dash I would guess that they added the RA carb plate but no hood plate or the flapper doors/cables for the scoops either. If the carb plate is fiberglass that is a cheaper repro part that will warp from engine heat after a short time of driving. To buy the parts to complete the RA system correctly will cost you a few $$$$.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think that the true Ram Air 4 cars stated that on the scoop decals as "RAM AIR IV".

Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ram Air = RA III
Ram Air IV = Ram Air IV

In the other thread regarding this the msrp shows no ram air or ram air IV option. No correct engine codes for it. It is a basic GTO. Nice car. Yes if it were a RA car it would have the cables/knobs in the center under the dash with the words Ram Air.