Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default couple sd questions

when tearing down a complete 74 sd engine i bought,i found a 103(last 3 didgets)crank.always thought it was an other number on the sd,but have seen a couple others on this site say that was what was in thiers.okay guys what do you think the number should be?next,what cams do you guys run?i don't think anyone is making the small geared cam anymore,are they?do you just change out the gear on the distributor and run a regular cam?been thinking about a small hydro roller when i build it,so i woud have to change the gear anyway.just wander what you guys do.thanks for looking.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My all original 74 SD also had the 103 crank in it.

Cam question is an open can of worms. It would all depend on what configuration of headers/manifolds that you are running, etc.

List what you plan to run and we could suggest a cam better.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i found the motor one year and then the next found a 74 sd trans am without its motor.believe it or not guy bought the car but told them to keep the junk smog sd 455,he was putting in a real 455.(70 455/15 heads,what can you say?)anyway,will not be numbers matching,but can make a complete code matching car.
thinking about complete stock looking motor,2.5 rare air manifolds,a little more stall,3.42-3.73 gears,have an nos set of trw dome pistons for 10.5 comp just don't know if i want to go that way,most of you run good with lower comp anyway.
mostly i wondered if you bothered with the small geared cams or just changed gears and ran the easier to find normal cams.thanks for your input bob,i've been watching and will continue to watch what you guys do.i know a little but have learned alot on here.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using a regular cam with a swapped out distributor gear in my ride. No problems with my 80psi pump either.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also run the standard gear because that's all there is. I have had no problems with the pump either but I do run the BOP composite gear.

As far as cams go I think the Comp roller XR276HR would be a good choice with your combo. I would run it with 1.65 rockers. It would make hellacious low end torque and spin nicely to 5500rpm.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, what times does your TA run?

I used a roller that HO Racing used in their SS car back in the day.
It had 104 LSA.
Man that thing ran good.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont think Bob has run that new motor yet? sure like to see that first pass.
What are you thinking Bob?