Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Center link rebuild

I just put a new center link on my 66 gto. The new one looks kind of wimpy where the studs for the steering box and idler arm are. I don't have a lot of confidence in it lasting like the factory one I took off. I thought I read on some site that somebody was rebuilding the end joints/studs. I can't find it though. Does anybody know who does this?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought new ones for my 66 Through Auto Zone for $99.00. It came from Rare Parts I believe or maybe Moog has one that will fit. But, the one fromn Auto Zone was super nce and even beefier than the stock one by a little bit. I also buy their fast ratio steering boxes for $129.00 which are AC Cardone, and come with a life time. If you can't get a decent one in your area and want me to pick one up for you let me know. I was so happy I bought a second one for my 67 and it was just as nice, and almost a year later when I bought it. So in other words, the first one for the 66 was not just dumb luck. That's my history with the center links for what it's worth. .... Mike

Old 05-12-2007, 10:11 AM

RR I'll check AZ. Were the ends of the link where the studs are like the original link? Every place I checked couldn't get a 66 link, just a 67 like the original. I guess they are different. I did replace my Monte SS box with a new rebuilt from NAPA for $130. I thought that was a deal.