Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 65 GTO ON THE ROAD AGAIN

Just got the 65 on the road again after an engine and dash rebuild. Original engine, never been opened except for timing chain once. Died due to broken pistons on regular fuel. My dad purchased car new in Rosenburg, Texas. Lowered compression for regular fuel as the need for speed is now gone. Used 091 heads I believe it was, 92cc chambers. Car still has a bit of giddy-up. Also refurbished guages with new lenses and the cheapo wood with the 64 turned metal look. New dash pad. Also replaced the original remote mirror that was bonked off many years ago. Nice looking steering wheel. Have a refurbished 3.23 Posi read to go in this weekend. In a 1966 housing with flat spring perches. Current 12 bolt of unknown ratio is so bent I would say it has about 15-20 degrees of camber on the rear wheels. If anyone has a pair of the lower rear spring retainer plates they can spare please advise ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090061.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	90643   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090062.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	90644   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090063.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	90645   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090059.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	90646   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090057.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	90647  

Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 AM

Looks like a voltage regulator for transistorized ignition? Distribotor cap looks like hei? So if it was transistorized and switched to hei how much trouble with the wiring?
Patrick

Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This was a transistor ignition car. Unit worked fine till I just removed it. I believe we put one box on it over the 40 years of operation. As I had the guage cluster out is was no problem to pop the ignition switch harness off and substitute a hard wire for the resistor wire. I decided to go HEI as they are a great unit to use and figured down the line it would pay off. If anyone wants to go transistorized I will part with the entire set up.