Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Simple brake question

I completed a front brake job on my Ford crown vic.

New pads and I had the rotors turned.

Now when I drive and apply pressure to the brake pedal, my steering wheel shakes back and forth side to side.

I actually took the rotors back and had them returned (So the guy said) and still have the same problem.

What is the cause of this?

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Chief

Still sounds like poor machine work on your rotors. Hows the finish on the rotors, is it nice and smooth like glass (correct way ) or does it look like an old scratched up 45 record (wrong). Dull knifes on a lath and incorrect speed will cause more problems than you had. Or if you had to beat the rotors off the spindle from being rusted they might just be warped so bad they wont turn proerly.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

could also be a broken fin on one of the rotors that only gives when the brake pressure is applied. Rare, but sounds likely. Wouldn't necessarily be noticed during machining because the pressure of a diamond tip doesn't even compare to the pressure of a squeezing caliper.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry P
Or if you had to beat the rotors off the spindle from being rusted they might just be warped so bad they wont turn proerly.
Not sure hammering would be necessary because a Crown Vic still has tapered wheel bearings, doesn't it?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bad548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob with the 66
I completed a front brake job on my Ford crown vic.

New pads and I had the rotors turned.

Now when I drive and apply pressure to the brake pedal, my steering wheel shakes back and forth side to side.

I actually took the rotors back and had them returned (So the guy said) and still have the same problem.

What is the cause of this?
If it didn`t hav this prblm Before brake job to check/eliminate Installed rotors just get any cheapo dial indicator and measure run out of rotors. Either rotors bad or if it didn`t have problem before a simple mistake such as calipers/pads/bearings/twisted hoses/etc not correctly installed. If no history on car possible front end problems. More history/details would help to isolate - did you bleed/rotate tires or do anything else?