Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve;
From all appearances your car does not fall into "dodge boy" theme I was refering to... I was more over suggesting for the type of person who says something along these lines of:
"My car is the only Sublime-Lime, 318/2bbl, 4 speed, white vinyl top, wire hubcap, coupe with an optional tissue dispenser"

If your car is like 442 has asked, either a seperate model determined by vin code, or similar to a trim level like the "SE" package for the 1976-1981 Trans Am's, it sounds to be a unique car...
Were definatly not talking about the addition of several variables (in this case options) to "create" a 1/1 car...

I know that some trim type packages were recorded for Pontiacs, the most obvious ones that come to mind are the SE TA's (1976 Pontiac 50th Ann., 1977-1981 Black with gold striping, or the 1978 "Y88" Gold with black striping, and there has even been recording of coupe versus T-roof cars for these!), but others would be, the 1977-1978 Skybird, 1978-1979 Redbird, or 1980 Yellowbird...
Am I correct in understanding that your car is like one of these late 1970's Firebird examples?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, after reading through this.. and droolin over the Charger (My brother has a 69 and a 70 383) what about cars that have oddities?

For instance, there is at least one 72 455 HO Formula automatic that has no paint code on the cowl plate. It was ordered in a strange manner, 3.08 open rear, trailer hitch, with a factory applied blue that wasnt available. True the rear and hitch are curious additions and dont really add to value.

Its more about the paint code that makes it an interesting car, in addition to being one of 276 455 HO Formulas built in 72. Hell its already rare and desirable as it is, but what about factory oddities like the cowl tag that has two dashes where the paint code should be?

Figuring value in my mind means what options it had. If it had AC or not will add or subtract value for different people. 4 speeds are viewed as more desirable than an auto by most. It depends on what impact that option has on performance or luxury, and with the availability of the plethora of options back then, nearly any car could be a 1 of 1 when all options are taken into account.

When you get down to under 1000 or 500 cars built with a certain drivetrain and body style, be it GTO, TA, Formula, or T37 et al, thre will be some colors that arent as prevalent and some that are, some with AC some without, some with whatever the buyer or dealer ordered that just isnt on most cars. That doesnt make them more valuable..

And certainly anything that isnt a performance engine optioned car wont have the value of the big engines even if it is the only one with a different color or steering wheel.

What type of person is willing to buy a 40 year old car for stupid amounts of money anyway? Its an old car man.. just cuz you have the cash doesnt mean its really worth that much.. but then something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it..

Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As Ed McMahon would say: "You are right sir!" It is seperate model based on the combination of performance option package (R/T) and the luxury option package (SE).

I know what you're talking about when you refer to those guys who think there car is worth a million bucks because it was the only two-toned taupe and chartreuse with olive green interior, Valient built with mudflaps only on the right side. There is rare and unique, and then there is rare and valuable. They usually do not go togther.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO
Its more about the paint code that makes it an interesting car, in addition to being one of 276 455 HO Formulas built in 72. Hell its already rare and desirable as it is, but what about factory oddities like the cowl tag that has two dashes where the paint code should be?
There is nothing odd about a car that has two dashes in the paint code. However, it is rare and special.

What's odd is a red car with a blue interior. Or Rally Stripes on a T-37 with an I6. The former doesn't match, the latter involves a dichotomy of the look of performance with the lowest-powered engine. But in ensuing years we had Vega GTs too, so in some respects it's nothing too special. Really, any A-body that's not a GTO with those stripes - regardless of engine - is special.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default my 1 of 1

'73 SD455 with optional sunroof, as noted in the Pontiac "options brochure".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sdroof.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	86757   Click image for larger version

Name:	meSD.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	86758  

Old 03-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Wow! I don't think I have every seen a 2nd Gen Trans Am with any type of roof opening other than T-tops or a JC Whitney style sunroof!! Very remarkable, Larry!

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Originally: Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood Int/ Sandalwood Top w/ 400 4BBL Auto Trans
Currently: Red/Sandalwood Int/White Top w/ 400 4BBL Manual Trans
Built in Baltimore Plant - 1st week of Nov. 1969