Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Idle Feed Restriction and PCV Valve

I have a couple of questions. First, where is the idle feed restriction on Holley spreadbore carbs. I know they are different than traditional Holleys. Spreadbore idle screws adjust air instead of fuel. My 800 spreadbore needs the idle screws out about 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 turns to idle right. Then it still seems like they don't have very good control. I would like to try modifying my idle circuit for the better.

Second, has anyone used different PCV valves to change their idle air bleed. I know that they have different flow ratings. I haven't been able to find much info. I read a good thread on Chevelles.com, years ago, about this. I thought I had printed and saved it. I can't find it. One guy had a big block tripower. He used a bigger PCV valve to get his idle to improve. He did this instead of modifying his center carb (As I recall). I wonder how many people are actually using a PCV valve that is appropriate for their engine (Myself included). I also read about the "shake test" meaning nothing. How does one know if a PCV valve is good or bad (Even a new one)?