Default Hillary Will crash

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7cSsjD9NMtg

Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default She's 1 lucky lady!

http://www.nhra.com/content/news.asp...18135&zoneid=8

Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you watch the video closely it looks like something came apart when the car got out of the groove. initially i thought it lost traction and grenaded the bottom end, but there's not a hint of tire smoke. i suppose it's possible that she ran over something on the track, but whatever the case it definitely looked like some kind of mechanical failure.

it's amazing how far the driver's shell went after the car came apart. i'm sure she's glad that the NHRA mandated the rear shield on the roll cage after darrel russell's accident a couple of years ago.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Suspended

WOW !!!!! She is very very fortunate !!

I clicked on this hoping it was about a carpet bagger from (in name only) a north eastern State, but this crash was wild! And to think she had only a brusied arm? That is gonna be sore!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While i am glad no one was hurt - I think Will is in waaaaaaay over her head and was ripe for a big time "incident" for a long time - was this one her fault - dont know -- but with some of the other "close calls" she has had - it looks like she is in way over her head - and is dangerous not only to herself - but to others in the sport -- I wish the NHRA -- and the marketing people would stop putting these " cute women" with marginal experience in these cars just for the sake of trying to "sell the product" - there not going to look to pretty after a major-- read fatal -- accident.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

she might be in over her head, but there was a run last year between her and bob vandergriff where she did an amazing job of not crashing. i can't remember who it was right now, but one of them crossed over into the other lane behind the other car, then went between that car and the wall, all without either of the cars making contact. one of the most amazing things i've ever seen, especially considering it happened at the top end of the track.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well - as a matter of fact - is was her that lost control - and almost hit the other guy -- didnt know when to lift i guess- again - lack of control almost killed a fellow driver - or wrecked car

Old 02-05-2007, 04:30 PM

It looks like a mechanical failure. She explains it in her own woords.
http://blogs.nhra.com/nhrablogs.asp?blog=will

Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looked to me like some of the canards had come apart and she ran them over, blowing out the slicks.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

She usually has that " I'm scared to death look on her face" when she's sitting in the car ready to make a run!

Old 02-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy...my assessment of the tape was all wrong...

http://dragracingonline.com/livecove...1-vegas-1.html

Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Suspended

You look at that video and just think, "this is bad". She said she and the Racers For Christ woman prayed after the wreck. I'd be very thankful to be able to say that prayer!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Mongo need glasses...

Old 02-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Mighty brave crew guy removing the wheel studs with that slick at FACE LEVEL! Wrap a blanket around it if Goodyear techs want to see it intact and full of air.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I won't comment directly on Hillary's ability because I wasn't there.

BUT........I have had reservations about the current crop of drivers who get into a TF car without a lot of seat time. If trouble happens, there is no time to think....it all has to be second-nature. John Force's several-year process of getting Ashley ready should be the example of doing it right.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hillary is a local girl and started with the Junior Dragsters and worked her way up.She might have had a few advantages as her father had a trucking company but she came about her drag racing ability honestly.She and I recived our first Wallys the same day at Samoa Drag Strip in 2003.We are proud of her around here.A small town girl from our local stip in Northern California on the coast did good.
She went from Juniors to her own car to her dads 70 Challenger drag car to her dads Alcohol Dragster to where she is now.Full ride Top fuel Dragster,good for her.There are quite a few young girls in our junior program at Samoa Drag Strip.She came home for Thanksgiving and did a autograph session at a local pizza parlor and the kids flocked to her.She is a role model to them.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hillary is first class. She is a very nice young lady & she does a good job representing our sport. She is still learning how to drive a top fuel car but i bet if you ask anyone who drives one that they will tell you that they learn something new everyday. I've been fortunate to meet her & sit down & speak with her. She is very level headed & a very down to earth person. She may not be a perfect driver but she is learning. It takes big kahuna's to get back in one of those rails after the accident she had.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Give the girl a break. She has worked here way up. She didn't just step out of a street car into a TF dragster. John Force was by no means a safe and competent driver when he started out, but look where he is now. Working on number 15. Nuff said

Old 02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Suspended

I think she is one of the most level headed women in pro drag racing. I think alot of people see her, and just can't picture her as the racer type.