67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Question voltage regulator info

What is the part that plugs into the voltage regulator that looks kind of like a points condensor? Does anyone have a part # for this?
Thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja67bird
What is the part that plugs into the voltage regulator that looks kind of like a points condensor? Does anyone have a part # for this?
Thanks
It plugs in the rear of the voltage regulator.....I believe it eliminates any radio interference.....I don't have the part number

Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It is a filter for the radio,noise and yes it is a condenser you will find this on a lot of cars some times they are also hooked up to the heater motor also---BOB

Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Suspended

radio suppression capacitor and it plugs into the side of the regulator. discontinued GM item. look for used ones or NOS. you will rarely notice if it is working or not unless you like AM.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:57 AM

My parts catalog says #1960957 for "Capacitor and bracket assembly, on voltage regulator; 1967-68/ALL". #1964086 for 1969. The one on my 66 GTO is stamped 0.5 MFD (microfarad). The Goat service manual shows points condensers at about half that value.

It's in the radio section, group 9.663, along with "Capacitor assembly, radio". But there's guys on the groups saying it helps prevent arcing in the voltage regulator contacts as well. See http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...hillpc&lnk=ol&

Old 03-27-2007, 02:47 PM

Replace the cap as close as possible. It's needed in the regulator. For added noise suppression, get any big capacitor like a 1000 uF or higher and place anywere on a loarge +dc line like the rear power amp if you have one. It does wonders for the entire system. Can get these cheap at any surplus store.