Old 12-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

Default Recalibrating a voltmeter

Can anyone tell me if the voltmeter used in a second generation Trans Am can be recalibrated out of the car? Mine reads about 11 volts when the engine is running. I've checked both the voltage at the battery itself and at the connector to the voltmeter. Both read about 14 volts when the engine is running. So, is there any hope for my original gauge, or do I need to go junkyard hunting, and hope I can find one that works better. I really don't want to spend $100+ on a new OER replacement gauge. Any suggestions?

Alan

Old 12-09-2006, 02:44 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

It's not likely that you can do much with it, since most guage housings are crimped together and can't be opened without destroying them. On the off-chance that it can be taken apart (slip-fit or bolted cover), you could tackle it yourself. Figure out what provides the force to return the needle to zero- probably a tiny coiled spring. Then come up with a way to reduce that force- like moving the anchor point of the spring- trial & error to get it to correctly display a known voltage, like 12 volts.

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 12-10-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Chief

The face is attached to the body with two small blind rivets. I've also considered trying to pull the needle off and reinstall it slightly clockwise to accomplish the same thing. I don't want to damage the gauge if at all possible. Does anyone know if the needle can be pulled off easily and reinstalled on the shaft? Has anyone tried this?

Old 12-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive moved the needle with a strong magnet passed over the glass face. It takes a little fiddling but you can get the needle to stay where you want it.