Old 10-20-2006, 07:10 AM

Question Verifying a 455.....

What's the easiest and fastest way to verify a 455 engine? I know about the hump in the back next to the distributor but, all blocks other then a 400 had that. I think there should be a number 55 cast into the engine block below the heads. Can that be seen easily with the engine in the car?

Those who watch things happen,
and those who wonder, "What just happened?"
Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seen easily? depends on your definition of easy.
The numbers are on the sides of the block, which would place tham below and inboard of the exhaust manifolds. From under the cra, with the car up on jackstands, the 455 should be visible.
The other way, is to get the casting date (from near the distributor hole) to determine year, and the two-digit engine code stamped on the front. Then, cross-reference that to a database of engine codes (Classical Pontiac has one, as I believe do a few other sites).

Old 10-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH
Seen easily? depends on your definition of easy.
The numbers are on the sides of the block, which would place tham below and inboard of the exhaust manifolds. From under the cra, with the car up on jackstands, the 455 should be visible.
The other way, is to get the casting date (from near the distributor hole) to determine year, and the two-digit engine code stamped on the front. Then, cross-reference that to a database of engine codes (Classical Pontiac has one, as I believe do a few other sites).
...as well as the casting number from the rear, passenger side of the block (i.e. 485428)

Old 10-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The cast in displacement (350,400 & 455) is behind the fuel pump,if you go in from the front.(numbers are about 1/2" tall,so they are quite easily readable unless block is real grungy)

I believe ALL Pontiac V-8's from 69-79 can be I'd. this way.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Verifying a 455

You could also try in internet search for Wallace Racing. They have all the codes posted, as well as head codes. It's a good thing to print and take to the junk yard with you.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue71ta
...as well as the casting number from the rear, passenger side of the block (i.e. 485428)
That is the best way to know EXACTLY what you have - just enter that number here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/enginesearch4.htm

Gary

'06 GTO, '68 LeMans project, bikes, etc.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Suspended

block casting no. is best way.