Old 10-19-2006, 01:56 PM

One down, 3 to go. How about now? Still looks too dark? The colors may be off a bit from factory but I like how it came out so that combo stays. Forgot to mention that I'm also converting the black center caps to the red ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1986 (Large).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	68903  

Old 10-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Senior Chief

I just started refinishing my wheels for the 2nd time - went with the Eastwood paints. The last time I repainted them I sprayed some polyurethane over the top but it peeled off rather quickly. Has anyone else tried that? Do I need to do any special prep work to get the polyurethane to stay on?

Ralph

Old 10-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Senior Chief

My `72 originally came with 14x7 Rally IIs. While they were in good condition, needing only a refinish, they had the old Bias-ply tires on them.

They were beyond dry-rotted, and I was unable to find a set of 14" tires that were as tall as the G78-14s that came with the car. The closest I could find was the 215/75R14, which still made the spedometer/odometer run too fast.

Eventually, I upgraded to the Wheel Vintiques 15x7 Rally reproductions. They are almost 2 years old and they still look great! I mounted BF GTA 225/70R15s and it looks great. It took up the wheelwell gap nicely, the spedometer accuracy is about dead-on and the price was right ($104.99/rim and $80/tire).

So I would strongly suggest 15" wheels, depending on your spedometer calibration.

Regarding the wheel painting in the previous post, I recall a few articles on this and they all called for some type of primer. I wouldn't paint a bare metal rim.

1989 Trans AM GTA
Brilliant Red with Dove Grey Interior
5.7 TPI/700R4 3.27 "Aussie" Rear
-----
1972 LeMans with Endura Option
Lucerne Blue with Black interior and Black Vinyl Top
400/TH350 (Sold)
-----

"Wind in my hair, shifting and drifting, mechanical music, adrenaline surge..."
-Rush, "Red Barchetta"