Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Default The new Smoke Signals

I was wondering what you guys think of the new Smoke Signals?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I am the last to get it each month is what I think. I am really glad they got rid of the cover that said RENEWAL NOTICE every issue.

9/24 & I am still waiting...

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 09-24-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't gotten mine yet this month, but last months was SUPER!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like it a lot. I think they've done a nice job with it.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

The new Smoke Signals, with Don Keefe as editor, is the "Voice of the Pontiac Oakland Club International". I look at the new Smokes as a work in progress that will only get to be what the membership wants it to be. If you don't like what you see, or if you want to see more coverage of certain aspects of the hobby, or if you like what you see, don't hesitate to contact Don. He has expressed his willingness to work with the POCI membership on numerous occasions.

The new POCI web site should be up and running shortly and looks to be quite an improvement over the old web site.

Dave B.

DJB_Rock_2005.jpg
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM

I just received my September issue yesterday (09/20). I was concerned it was lost in the mail so I contacted them and was told they had some problems getting it out but were working on them. It takes me a while to get used to new things and changes ( I'm getting old ) but I bet a couple of issues from now I'll be loving it. All in all I think the improvements outpace any disapointments. Gotta love Bunkie's custom 1961 Bonneville convertible featured in the Sept issue.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't like the cover with the car on an angle.
Mine was a month later than ususal, but I'm told that things will be back to being on time real soon.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:51 AM

Still waiting for September and had to email about August. They shipped a new one out and then two weeks later the regular issue came.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How do you get the magazine and what's the web site

Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Chief

I'm still undecided on this one. I don't like the new fonts - it's as though someone is screaming at me. The first several pages all blend in together to me because the font is basically one size for everything. I also don't like the 2-tone treatments on the top and bottoms of the pages.

The classifieds got better with the addition of color pictures. I just can't figure out the code at the end of each classified.

I'm also curious as to what type of notice you get advising you your membership is about to expire. I've read a post on this site praising the new magazine for not having the renewal coversheet each month. For me, that was a quick reminder as well as serving to protect the front and back of the magazine from damage.

1964 Grand Prix
1966 Bonneville Brougham
1980 Trans Am - original owner
Old 09-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The post office always shredded the cover sheet, now they get to deface the actual magazine front cover.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgto
http://www.poci.org/ is the POCI web site, and Smoke Signals is the monthly magazine you get from them if you're a member. That web page link is 'down for rennovation' sadly but if you go to www.amesperf.com and DOWNLOAD one of the catalogs [i recommend the fullsize ], I BELIEVE (not 100% tho) that at the back of those catalogs they usually have a membership page for POCI so you can fill that out, pay your dues, send it to POCI and start getting smoke signals.

I should really do that one of these days...

Mike Diaz

Old 09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim642957
I'm still undecided on this one. I don't like the new fonts - it's as though someone is screaming at me. The first several pages all blend in together to me because the font is basically one size for everything. I also don't like the 2-tone treatments on the top and bottoms of the pages.

The classifieds got better with the addition of color pictures. I just can't figure out the code at the end of each classified.

I'm also curious as to what type of notice you get advising you your membership is about to expire. I've read a post on this site praising the new magazine for not having the renewal coversheet each month. For me, that was a quick reminder as well as serving to protect the front and back of the magazine from damage.
Tim,
I'm with you!
I also liked the protective cover for the reasons mentioned. Plus there was more room for ads and the ballot did not have to be torn out of the magazine.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:37 PM

Don,

I read where you are looking for opinions.

The latest cover? A yellow faded car on a even more faded background? The washed out photos of the greatest Pontiac man alive, John Sawruk, is a shame!

The first cover, I can easily see the photographer that took the photo? Couldn't that figure be removed?

The endless and rather boring attacks at the previous editor. The Smokes is no place to air your's and POCI Officers dirty laundry. If you felt you needed more from the last editor, you should have called him and requested what you needed. Get on with your job, you are being paid for. Stop the whinning!

The first issue as I recall had a statement from the the President in effect saying that PMD made lousy cars in the '90's? Is that why there are no PMD ads. in the world's largest Pontiac fan club?

What is the Club's proud logo doing on the bottom of the cover? The standard Pontiac arrowhead is not the club's identity. The magazine does not offer the feeling of being the parent of 70 some odd Chapters. Instead it reads like an off the rack Pontiac magazine.

I am sure that your magazine will improve and I do wish you the best. Please take my comments as concerns that POCI members have and are uneasy with.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJLaci Dad
Don,

I read where you are looking for opinions.

The latest cover? A yellow faded car on a even more faded background? The washed out photos of the greatest Pontiac man alive, John Sawruk, is a shame!

The first cover, I can easily see the photographer that took the photo? Couldn't that figure be removed?

The endless and rather boring attacks at the previous editor. The Smokes is no place to air your's and POCI Officers dirty laundry. If you felt you needed more from the last editor, you should have called him and requested what you needed. Get on with your job, you are being paid for. Stop the whinning!

The first issue as I recall had a statement from the the President in effect saying that PMD made lousy cars in the '90's? Is that why there are no PMD ads. in the world's largest Pontiac fan club?

What is the Club's proud logo doing on the bottom of the cover? The standard Pontiac arrowhead is not the club's identity. The magazine does not offer the feeling of being the parent of 70 some odd Chapters. Instead it reads like an off the rack Pontiac magazine.

I am sure that your magazine will improve and I do wish you the best. Please take my comments as concerns that POCI members have and are uneasy with.
LJLaci Dad:

Don's e-mail is pociworldhq@aol.com - NOT performanceyears.com

Dave B.

BTW - Am I seeing an island on the radar? Could it be Long Island, or could it be the British Isles?

DJB_Rock_2005.jpg

Last edited by TININDN; 09-25-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 PM

Cool poci membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgto
ksgto,you can join for $31.00 a year.You get 12 issues of Smoke Signals,and member roster,decal,& member card.Send check,or money order to Pontiac-Oakland Club International,P.O.Box 539,Victor,NY 14564.Phone is (877)368-3454,E-mail is pociworldhq@aol.com,&web is www.poci.org.Web is still down.We would love to have you.As the guys said there are some changes going on,but I think they will be worked out very soon.Kenny

Old 09-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I received my Smokes in today's mail and it is very impressive in appearance and content.

Kudos to the new editor for bringing our organization's "newsletter" into the motorsport mainstream.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 09-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSBURGH 64
I like the look of it myself.
May be a tech corner with things like suspension mods on B body's.
I get at least 1 e-mail a week of somebody wanting to convert there early sixty's B body to disc brakes.
I'll bet Don Keefe would love it if you'd write and submit an article...

Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jeff, you should really do that. You have a lot of good pictures of the change-over. But, if published, scarebird should give you a discount the next time around!!

Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, write the article but put a disclaimer in that says that this article was written by a Polish person and if everything works, you did something wrong!