The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Painting Safety

I was watching a rerun of the Boyd Coddington show and they were painting an old corvette using a BC/CC. The guy painting the car was only wearing a standard mask with the 2 cartridges, no fresh air, no eye protection! Is he setting a bad example or will he die of cancer in 6 months??? I haven't tried painting any BC/CC because of the risks of iso's. What is the risk if you painted 1 car a year??

Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

I didn't see it but, it probably is a fairly modern down draft booth. You don't get the concentration of fumes you would get painting at home. He still shouldn't go unprotected.

A lot of home booths just have air flow straight through them, and actually you don't want to much air flow in a homemade booth, because you will pick up more dirt.

If a person can afford supplied air with a hood, they are really nice, you can stand in there as long as you want, your eyes don't burn, a little cool air blowing over your head.

Rob

There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Chassis, Body Jig, Trunk Pan Pics.
http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc

Paint booth, Ventilation, etc.
http://www.2manitowoc.com/paintroom.html