Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Race fuel

During a recent dyno pull we made 844 hp at the rear wheels....the gas I am using is Sunoco 110 (purple) the guy running the dyno said that I shoud run a higher octane as I am pushing the edge with this type of fuel.

The problem is that 110 is readily available in my area but not much else. I do not want a 55 gallon drum in my garage and I was wondering if I added a tin of that octane boost stuff you see at the auto parts store to every 5 gallons of 110 would that work????

Thanks

Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be a waste of your money and would more than likely have the reverse effect that you are tiring to achieve. What is your CR?

Old 08-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lee- it's good to see you post again, i had been wondering what was going on with your car. those are awesome dyno numbers, especially if there's additional hp available with more tuning and better fuel.

you will not raise the octane of leaded racing fuel with an off the shelf additive. i don't like having a 55 gallon drum in my garage either, but it's alot cheaper in the long run than buying it 5 gallons at a time. i just make sure i'm careful around the drum (keep it on a pallet, away from moisture, etc.) and nobody smokes in the garage!

don't you live near nascar country? i would think that higher octane racing gasoline (114, 116, etc.) is available in the charlotte/mooresville/lake norman area.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:39 PM

Brian: Yeah I think that is about as good as we are going to get with the 150hp the blower sucks up and 30% loss for the powerglide and drivetrain....We figure we have about 1200 - 1300hp at the crank....making our power below 7000 rpm which is a real waste the potential of this shortstroke engine.......although it does help longevity....

Mooresville is a teetotal pain in the ass to get to and I thought the off the shelf octane boost might work in conjunction with the 110...the nascar shops do not sell to the public.

Haven't had the car at the track since VMP doing alot of dyno testing but we had some belt alignment issues and shredded a belt every three pulls till we got that fixed but also took out the fan and idler pulley brackets when the belts went so we had to end the sessions early....Still working out an issue with the lower idler pulley bracket that would take to long to explain but hope to get to the track in September and see what she will do.

I guess I am going to have to drive my lazy ass up to mooresville to pick up some damn fuel....sucks...

Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Say...whatever happened to that ping-freedom groove-thing by Automojobreath?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lee- i'm looking forward to seeing some great track numbers once you get those issues sorted out. knowing the care you took putting the combination together i'm sure you won't take it to the track until you know everything is right.

if you have to go to mooresville you might check out ken black's pro stock shop and find out where they get their fuel from. has to be somebody local i would think...