Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-08-2006, 06:26 PM

Default aftermarket stereo

i'm looking to install an aftermarket stereo in my '66 GTO. nothing too fancy, just four speakers and a single CD player. as much as I love the sound of that big V8, I could use some tunes to go along with it. There is a Tweeter and a Myer-Emco in my area who say they can do it for about $1200-$1600 total without damaging the originality too much (CD player in the glove box, rear speakers in the rear deck, front speakers in the front door panels). Does this sound reasonable? Anyone have any recommendations for a shop in Northern Virginia to install a stereo? Anyone want to share their experience having an aftermarket stereo installed in thier classic?

Old 08-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can do it a lot cheaper if you shop for the goods online and do the install yourself. First, I'd skip the rear speakers, you don't need them. Spend the money on some quality front speakers in custom kickpanels, or custom autosound kickpanels if you are really on a budget. The bare custom autosound kickpanels are only $75 and a decent place to start. Match those to a nice 12" sub with a pair of amps (or a single 4-channel) and you should have some good sound.

I have a Pioneer Premier head unit in the glove box, that I control with a remote. I can use XM radio or my Ipod right through it. I built a box for a 12" sub with an amp rack out of 3/4" MDF which fits below the package tray in the trunk. I have it coated in factory trunk spatter and it's actually not that noticeable in my stock restored trunk. It's a pretty high-end system that I probably only have about $1200 in including wiring and materials. It was quite satisfying to do it myself. I'd be glad to help if you have any more questions.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 08-08-2006, 08:37 PM

depending on what kind of speakers and head unit they install, it could be a good price or a bad price. any idea on the brands they`re installing? I had 4 speakers, 1 amp and a radio installed in my TA for $200(or around there, can`t remember exactly). I supplied all the parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsimpson
without damaging the originality too much
make sure you know exactly what that means, not too much to them could be too much for you.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:01 AM

I'll second the suggestion about deleting the rear speakers, go with 2 fronts, an amp, and a decent sub, I always thought that the only reason you need a sub was to bump, but letting the sub handle the bass really allows your fronts to produce some really clean, loud, sound.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Suspended

You seriously need speakers in the back. In fact, if you are only going to have one set, they need to be in the back.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also agree with needing speakers in the back, but I would also install some small tweeters under the dash. I mounted my CD plater in the glove box also, modifying a stereo installation kit that can be bought in any Wal Mart stereo department for less that $20.00. It isn't a really big job, and the price you were quoted seems way too high. The only thing I don't like about having the CD player in the glove box is the door must be left open in order to use the remote control....not bad if you are riding alone, but its a pita for the passenger.
Chris

Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts
You seriously need speakers in the back. In fact, if you are only going to have one set, they need to be in the back.
Have you ever gone to a concert and listened only with your back to the stage? Having speakers only in the back makes no sense at all.

Rear speakers aren't necessary, and in high-quality systems that do have them, they are used only for mid-bass and/or fill. 95% of the soundstage comes from the front mids and highs.

The Following User Says Thank You to mwritter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like surround sound, so speakers have to be in both frt/rr.
The rear's are larger, handle more power, so i give'm more to even the volume front to rear.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I vote for a 4 speaker system also. I have 6x9's in the rear deck and the dual mount 3" speakers in the dash. Got crossovers behind the glove box so the lows dont go to the dash speakers. Got a Custom Autosound AM/FM in the 69 radio chassis. Everything is hidden including the 6 disc changer under the seat. It sounds pretty good for a hidden system. I put it in myself and have probably $850 in it. I personally did not want to put speakers in the doors or kick panels where you could see them. Jim

Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 PM

I bought 4 decent 6x9s on ebay, put two in the rear deck, and two on either side of the console. Bought a decent CD player from one of my friends, and hung it under the dash. I think it sounds pretty good, and it only cost about $200 bucks to do by me and my friends. It passes the WOT test so I was happy.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 PM

Another option would be to put the head unit under the dash. I found a black housing at a marine store that fit perfect between the dash and console on my 67 firebird. I also mounted 2 4" coax speakers in the dash. Add some good quality 6x9s in the back and you could have decent tunes for $300 or less. Since I have a convertible, I got a removable face plate so I could lock it in the trunk if I left the top down. Speakers front and back will give you a lot more seperation.

Custom Autosound also sells a set of speakers in a box to fit under front seats for around $125, which look interesting, but not aware of anyone that has tried them.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 AM

so here's what I'm about to do. i'm gonna pick up a four channel head unit and have it professionally installed in the glove box since I don't feal comfortable wiring through the engine compartment and firewall. then I've ordered the front kick panels from custom autosounds and I'm gonna mount 6.5" speakers in those and put a box with two 10" subs in the trunk. this way I can start out with just the two in the front and if I feel like I need more I can add 6x9s on the rear channels to the rear package tray. all told shouldn't cost more than $400, I hope... any additional help with wiring, fusing, etc. would be appreciated. (especially fusing, what type, what capacity, where to get them, where to put it?)

Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are going to run an amp, you're going to have to get a 4ga-8ga power wire directly to the battery, and that's going to have to go through the firewall. And if you are running an amp, you don't need a four channel head unit, as your head unit won't be powering anything. Better to spend your money on a non-powered head unit that has high-powered RCA outputs to send the signal to your amp(s).

Such a head unit would only have 4 connections: (1) power; (2) ground; (3) antenna; (4) amp turn-on; and maybe (5) dimmer. It's really quite simple. I'd think that a decent head unit and an install kit (housing) can be had for under $300.

As for the amp/speaker wiring, it's really something that I think a novice can handle. You can buy a complete amp wiring kit that comes with all necessary wires, fuses, distribution blocks, RCAs, and a wiring schematic. Something like this one: http://www.cardomain.com/item/STRPS04RSI

I was considering running 6x9s in my rear package tray when I was designing my system. Before I purchased, I sought the advice of the experts on www.caraudioforum.com. Here's their response to my idea: "6x9 in the rear deck + sub in the trunk = bad idea." I took their advice and I am pleased.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not to hi-jak- anybody have a good source for oem looking radios with modern tuners and fm?

( there was blurb in another post, completely unrelated to radios that someone had an oem radio converted with an Ipod interface), but he never repsonded with more info about where it was done.

John

BTW- Matt- any pics of the pro-touring car?

Old 08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn
not to hi-jak- anybody have a good source for oem looking radios with modern tuners and fm?
There is a guy who sells them on eBay every now and then. He takes original AM radios and guts them, and installs modern AM/FM components. Apparently the only visible modification is a LED which is visible when the tuner is on. They were pretty sweet looking and not that expensive. I think he can even install RCA outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn
BTW- Matt- any pics of the pro-touring car?
Don't have any recent ones here at work, so I'll get some from my camera tonight. Just dropped the motor and trans in on Sunday for a test fit. Still need to do a little more floor work on the trans tunnel and install the flywheel/clutch before I drop it in for good. Might even have it running this weekend for trans break-in.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:15 AM

I just went through this since I had the whole dash wire harness out, interior removed, Dynamat layed down...
I went and bought x 2 6" speakers, put them on the kick panels; x2 3" tweaters under the dash; x2 6" put them on the package tray; subwoofer and two Amps, and a capacitor. Most of the speakers were Kenwood high-end stuff. I shopped around for them for awhile at circuit city or best buy...looking for sales and such. Once I got what I wanted, I took it to the stereo install place and they spent the day wiring and modifying stuff. They did an extremely clean nice job, for 300.00 bucks.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brett- did you use an aftermarket head unit or a modifed oem?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are several places that convert older stereos with new digital electronics. Pick up a Hemmings or PM me and I can give you some websites. Jim

Old 08-10-2006, 05:01 PM

ponjohn
I used an Eclipse head, the dash had already been cut although I still had the original radio. I recently had just sold the original radio (not working) on ebay for 100.00

Old 08-13-2006, 05:15 AM

Default mounting bracket

anyone know where I can get the mounting hardwear to put the head unit in the glove box? is it a whole new glove box or just a mounting bracket that goes in the original one?