Old 07-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Cool 70-81 T/A Stories

It would be great to hear them-past tense or current. Going back to the 70's I used to buy Car and Driver magazine when 2nd gen. T/A'S were all the rage. I remember after the T/A Won the Shootout Handling competition all the Hate mail C&D got from Vette owners ie. like you can't drive etc. But there was also T/A owners writing in saying ie. I would get a Vette owner trying to Challenge me and I would s#$k him in and leave him in the dust--Heres a cool pic from a magazine of a 76 T/A taking a corner .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-ADD.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	58244  

Old 07-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I have one for you.. Bought my 79 10th TA for $2200 back in 87. The drive home was surprising, especially how well it handled with the 70 series BFGs on it.. It was my daily driver untill I went in the USAF in 88, still have it. Anyway the story is about a guy with a camaro. A buddy of mine said this guy thought he was unbeatable and nobody could stay with him in corners. It was a 78 with a 4 speed and a 305 4 barrel. Me being the stupid kid I used to be, I went and found him with my bud.

So the challenge was I had to stay with him through town. It was past midnight so there wouldnt be any kids playin in the streets. He takes off, I follow, since I had 2.73 gears and an auto I never had to take it out of first, the WS6 did the rest. Well he tried for a few minutes to lose me, then I passed him and he tried to chase me. I lost him in three turns.

We meet back at the parking lot we used to hang out in and he shows up. Man was he mad, just steaming. He had never been that embarassed before, even by a couple Vettes. I talked to my buddy earlier in June and he said the guy still talks about it, and still isnt happy. He just got beat by a better car is all..

Things we do when we are young and stupid. Like 140+ in the same car for 15 miles on a two lane blacktop... just stupid stuff...

Old 07-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Cool story---Theres something about a 70-81 TRANS AM that made you think you could take on the world.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:04 PM

Back in '92 or '93 I was helping one of my friends from work swap an L88 style 'glass hood off of his wrecked '79 T/A to his replacement '81 T/A. We got the hood on and he realized that he didn't have a drill to drill holes for the hood pins (the glass hood wasn't designed to allow the latch mechanism). He decided to tie the hood down and we would drive about 30 miles north of town to his other friends house to use his tools. We did fine around town but about 5 miles out of town on the 2 lane highway headed north. We were running about 70 mph when the hood popped up about three inches. My friend is half way through saying "it will be ok" when the hood flys off the car and lifts about 20 feet into the air and lands in traffic behind us. It ripped the 'glass right off the hood hinges. He wasn't very happy. At least no one got hurt. The cars following us swerved out of the way just in time!!

Member of P.O.C.I. and GTOAA.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used to run around in my '73 T/A with no hood hinges, no fenderwells, etc. I was going to Sacramento on a date one night when a Corvette tries to pass me in the right lane and I'm going about 80 mph. I drop it into 2nd (3.23's, TH400) and punch it. I'm pulling away from him when I notice the back of the hood is rising so I back out of it at well over 100 and let him go. I had to pull over and juggle the hood back down because it caught on the edge of the shaker and was stuck. The front hood latch was all that was holding it.

Of course I pretended like things like that happen all the time.