The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Rear wheel molding 69 GTO Pics?

Finally got wheel moldings for my Goat. Front ones went on OK, look good. I can't get the rears to measure up...different shape. I contacted the previous owner, he said the rear quarters had been replaced years back. Could this be why they don't fit right? The ones I got were from a 68 GTO. Could this be why, I thought they should be the same. I don't think I can sort of shape them you know, like make them fit....OK BEND them to fit!!!!! Anybody got pictures I can compare with.

Thanks, John

Old 06-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Should fit...

'68-'69 are the same. These are stainless and don't give much. I'll get pix later today. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This may sound stupid but are you sure they are rears? Also, are you sure that you are putting them on the correct side? They'll only go on one way correctly.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:13 PM

Yep, there rears allright. Very different from front ones. I am sure of fit for each side as well. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run into this problem plenty over the years and yes, it is usually a result of full/aftermarket 1/4 panel replacement. cannot be much help here behind my keyboard, but here are a few tips: DO NOT cut or slit your moldings in anyway shape or form, this looks really poor and does not work all that well except to devalue moldings (and car). DO a trial fit pre paint in order to get them to fit as well as possilbe so you don't scratch the bejeebas out of your fine paint job (ofcourse if your car is already painted, this method is out). DO NOT attempt the install alone. your cars finish has a much better chance of survival with an extra set of hands to keep molding from flopping around during install. DO start in the center and work towards each end front/back. I have found this requires the least amount of bend/twist you will need to produce in order to get the piece to look decent. and finally, DO instal extra srew holes as a last resort in order to get the molding to snug up better where there may be a larger than desired gap. NOTE: although I am not reccomending this, I have had some success lightly tapping installed moldings with a rubber mallet, snugging them up. long post:sorry. ....now, drink beer