Old 06-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1974 Formula that started it all

In 1977 I was a 10 yr old kid that could not sit still and always was on the go. I had 2 older sisters, so a brother was a cool comodity. Both of my next door neighbors had plenty of brothers. So guess where I was?

My closest neighbor Mike had just bought a 1974 Formula 4 speed. And was to me the coolest car in the world. My buddies and I bugged Mike about the car, asking all sorts of stupid questions and generally just underfoot.Looking back, the car had an impact it seemed on much of the neighborhood.Plus the Movie of all Movies was on it's way to the theaters...Smokey and the Bandit.

Mike kept the car until the early 80's when it was stolen.Luckily, later it was recovered in horrible shape. In the mid 80's Mike was able to get his car back to its old self. By this time he owned a body shop in the area and was able to do the work his self.

In the late 80's things changed and Mike decided to sell the car to a close friend Chuck. If he decided to buy the car back it would be at least findable. But in the early 90's Chuck sold the car to a stranger and soon it was gone.Passing hands at least once more.

Personally, I kept up with Mike thru the late 80's but after that I lost touch.But I never forgot about the Formula.A 1974 Regatta blue Formula 400 4 speed with bravada cloth bolster inserts is not an every day car.It also had functional Ram Air and A/C.

This past April 06' I saw a similar car at the Year One Challenge at Road Atlanta just driving thru.The car looked great. After talking to the owner I found out it was for sale.It had been in his basement for the last 6 years off and on........8 miles from my home. More stories confirmed that it was Mike's car. The Odometer still only had 60k miles because it was really never driven

That week after not being in touch with Mike for 20 yrs I found him through our parents 30 miles away.He could not believe I had found his car. Turns out he had collected several TA's and firebirds,but was missing one special piece.

That Friday... Mike became the 2nd and 6th owner of his Formula!! I am proud to say it is Home now.

As you can see in my signature Mike had a big effect on me.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a great story Jay. I've always dreamed of getting my first GTO back but there's no way. I'm sure it was parted out years ago because of who I sold it to.
Incidentally, being 9 years older than you. The car that started it all for me was a '68 Firebird when I was 10 years old.. Mayfair Maize, 400 4spd with black interior. I can still remember how I could feel the resonate tone in my chest and ears as it idled.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 AM

car that started it for me was my dads Dark Green Firebird he sold it when i was 8 or 9 (im 14 now) i cried when he sold it then he went and bought this car a 1969 Camaro and then he re did it but my dad has had tons of pontiacs in his day lots of 70's now he rubbed off on me and bought me a 1970 Lemans Sport and he might even buy me another one to build one car!

My dads Camaro:

My Lemans Sport: