Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-07-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Keisler Eng. TKO 600

I posted this in the Body tech, but thought that there are probably a few guys in here that have done this.

I am installing the above listed transmission into my 67 GTO 4 speed/w console. Folks at Keisler stated that this will go into the tunnel w/ "minimal modifications, just use the template provided that shows two small cuts on the tunnel and then patch with the two small sheet metal patches provided". They stated that the console will go right back on and be a "perfect fit."
Well it is not a "perfect fit."
My GTO is an original 4 speed w/console. However after getting the transmission in the tunnel, it is very appearent that the tunnel is going to need alot more modification than what the template suggests to still be able to use the console. I am thinking that the best way to do the tunnel is to cut the whole tunnel and then lift it/modify it so that the shape stays the same and the tunnel/console sits about 1-2 inches higher. If I just followed the template/patch procedures, I will have two lumps on the tunnel that the console wont sit right on.

Anyone else go through this "perfect fit" procdure? How did your console fit after installation?

When I researched putting in an OD transmission I originally thought about going with Classic Chevy, however I was turned off by them when I saw the 67 GTO pictorial demonstration that showed an original console/4 speed conversion. When that guy was done he wasnt able to use the console due to the mods to the tunnel. So I talked to Keisler and they stated that would not be a problem with thier modified/advanced design "perfect fit."

Thanks in advance for the response.
Brett

Old 06-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

there on crack

you will need to cut open the area over the tranny.

They just installed a tremec in my car, had to cut a sizable opening.

i dont have a console.

others will chime in, its not a terribly hard install, just fabrication.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 06-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can see the mods I had to do on my 65 at http://members.shaw.ca/rguido/dad.htm

Not what I would call minor....my kit was from Keisler also.

1965 GTO hard top, Black with a red interior built to drive and Race best so far 1.45 60’ 8.77@164mph . 6 Speed manual transmission. MS3pro Fuel injection Multiport , 517cubes 10 to 1, 3.50 gears, CNC E-heads wideport 350CFM by Dave B. 4025lbs with driver!!94mm turbo. Winner of the Hot Rod Dragweek stick shoot out 2017!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 PM
On Vacation

Hook up with Tripower455 on this. He is out of florida and posts a lot in the 66 GTO Tech area. He has a 66 Conv with a tremec install and I am pretty sure he did his own install and has a console.

Last edited by rzrektd; 06-07-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM

I do not have experience with this conversion, but you may want to consider the variables involved, motor mounts, transmission mounts, even body mounts may change spacing.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not the tunnel that's the problem, it's the shifter. I can't make the offset Tremec shifter fit under my '66 console without some mods. it sits up too high and hits the bezel. Supposedly, the McLeod will fit under the console, but I am waiting for someone to install one before dropping the coin.

I've been doing other stuff on mine for the last few months, and the console has been waaaay on the back burner. one of these days I'll get to it!

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 06-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am the guy with the 67 GTO on CC5S. I did not have a factory console, and didn't want to use one, so I wasn't too worried about the shape of the tunnel. I just finished a project of fitting the shifter hump to the tunnel and installing new carpet and I will tell you, it looks awesome! I will post a pic tonight.

I will also tell you that there is no way in H E double hocky sticks that you are getting that tranny in the car without major tranny tunnel mods. Here is what I recommend. Cut the entire top of the tunnel off under the entire length of the factory console. That way you will not change the shape of the floor. Then use some kind of spacer on top of the tranny to keep at least 1/2" clearance all over the tranny. The tunnel is going to have to come up 1-2". Then you fabricate pieces to weld in to fill the gap all the way around the tunnel.

I would have done mine that way as well, but my tunnel was already butchered by a conversion to 4-speed and multiple aftermarket shifter installations.

Also, I used the McLeod shifter and I have no problems with it. I don't know whether it is lower profile than the Keisler deal. There are people out there with this setup under a stock console, so it must work. I'll get some more pics on tonight of my finished interior.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brett,
here is a tunnel patch panel I have for a 66 chevelle w/ TKO600.
the factory console went right back on with Forte's offset shifter.
this panel will work in your 67.
$85.00 including shipping.
david

p.s. the panel does not have the shifter hole cut in it. you cut it yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s tunnel 004 (Small).jpg
Views:	242
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	55087   Click image for larger version

Name:	s tunnel 005 (Small).jpg
Views:	232
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	55088  

Old 06-07-2006, 02:07 PM

Gearbanger, thanks, Somewhere in my head I had thought that you had the Console already when I read through your doc, my mistake. You stated that you may want to put in a console at a later time, have you ever tried to fit one yet? Be intrested in hearing that. Looking forward to the picture of your sifter hump.
What you mentioned about lifting the whole tunnel up is probably what I will do, but I will probably run into the same problem as Tripower455 did with the shifter hitting the bezel... I was looking again at your pics on CC5S, seems that the McLoed shifter sits higher than the Keisler offset design. After studying it that may better in clearing the shifter throws from hitting the bezel; lower in the tunnel will create longer throws around the circumfrance of the bezel.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am curious about Tripower's install. He seemed to say that his tranny fit in the tunnel no problem, it was just the shifter that was the problem. I can not imagine how he got the tranny anywhere close without cutting the whole top of the tunnel out. I used my stock crossmember unmodified. All I had to do was slide it back 1-1/2". There is no possible way of getting the stock crossmember under the tranny mount, with the tunnel intact.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 PM

Default 6t7GTO Pics?

Can you shoot some pics my way showing your console installed? Does your shifter bang the bezel?

Old 06-08-2006, 04:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbanger
I am curious about Tripower's install. He seemed to say that his tranny fit in the tunnel no problem, it was just the shifter that was the problem. I can not imagine how he got the tranny anywhere close without cutting the whole top of the tunnel out. I used my stock crossmember unmodified. All I had to do was slide it back 1-1/2". There is no possible way of getting the stock crossmember under the tranny mount, with the tunnel intact.
My tunnel was cut to make the Tremec fit. There is no way it would fit without cutting and welding in a patch.

The problem I referred to was with the console fitment, which is with the shifter.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brett,
here's some pics.
you'll notice the console is slightly off center. the previous owner added this console and welded the mounting brackets off center. Kenny, who owns this car, didn't want to cut the brackets loose and reweld them.He said you couldn't notice it much anyway.
the shifter does not hit the bezel.
we had to put a 1/2" shim under the console to make it fit securely to the midway mounting bracket in the console box.
chevelle's use three mounting locations. rear, midway and very front of the console.
david
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	console1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	55168   Click image for larger version

Name:	console2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	55169   Click image for larger version

Name:	console3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	55170   Click image for larger version

Name:	console4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	55171  

Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That last one looks like a 'vette console. The opening is much larger than on a GTO console, which is why it doesn't hit.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tripower,
this is a cloned SS396.
i'll measure the opening. kenny's supposed to come by today.
david

Old 06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the chevelle shift bezel measures 3 5/8 wide by 5 1/2 long.

david

Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that's way bigger than the GTO's bezel, which is an oval shape. I am probably going to mod the bezel down in the hole to fit......

Old 06-09-2006, 07:22 PM

Has anyone used the Console-transmission tunnel hump with the TKO? Another question, is there a lower/bottom shifter boot/ring? I have the console boot already but was thinking there must be a 67 GTO lower boot. I looked in Year One and Ames and only saw a lower boot for the models w/out consoles.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just an FYI, but unless Keisler changed the way they're putting their transmissions together, you can't use anyone else's shifter. They mill about 0.25" or so off the top of the shifter housing.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Transmission is in, hacked alot of the tunnel away and patched/riveted it up. Just a note, that Keisler put in a what I was told a "chevy needle bearing" by the parts store, that was nice...not even the right size. Console doesnt fit right..its almost there but just not right. I am thinking that I will trim the plastic skirt to get it to fit right somewhere down the road. I am redoing the console/dash, going to re-wire the dash; which is a pretty daunting thing for me. Two things I really dont enjoy, sheetmetal work, and electrical work...not very good at either....

I Posted a question over in the electrical board today, but if there is anyone here who can help, much appreciated. I took out the wire harness and noticed that about 90% of all my light bulbs were missing. I am going to get am M&H Wireharness but am curious if they send out a light bulb kit with the harness or even if that is available? Does anyone here have a list of all the different bulbs that go into the dash?
Thanks
Brett