Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 PM

Default 1972 Trans Am Unitized Distributor

I'm looking for concrete proof if a unitized distributor was optional on 72 TA's? I believe it was mandatory on Formula's with the HO but optional on the TA . Otherwise the TA came with a 1112126 points distributor. I also believe this is the reason there were 2 block codes for each tranny in 72. One with unitized and one without. I have a 72 TA with the 2126 and a unitized distributor isn't on the PHS so I'm sure it came with points. My buddy isn't sure and we're thinking about trading cars so I want to be sure for his sake if we do trade. Anybody have any proof? Thanks, Chad

Old 06-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

according to the 1972 pontiac sales manual, car distribution bulletin #72-40, dated sept.22rd 1971 states as of nov.1st the code upc/k65 sales 634 unitized ignition system was now optional at extra cost. my 09-D built 72 has it as a $78.99 option. it was built the same week as the PMD bulletin......

Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

carnut4life,

You are correct about the two different 455 HO engine codes for each transmission, one for points and one for unitized ignition. WM was manual with unitized, YB was automatic with unitized. WD was manual with points and YE was automatic with points. As bossbirdta stated, the Sept '71 change effected the Trans Am only. Unitized Ignition was a manditory option on the HO Formulas and all A-body HO cars.

My March built '72 Trans Am came with a points-type ignition and I thought that it was incorrect because most early '72 factory literature claims that the Unitized Ignition was standard on the Trans Am. Later I found out that my YE block was delivered with the the points-type ignition and the distributor in the car was correct.

Jim

Old 06-06-2006, 04:06 AM

Thanks Jim and bossbirdta! My 72 TA was built the last week of November and it has its #'s matching YE code engine and 1112126 points distributor. Me and a buddy are considering trading cars and I wanted to make sure I had my info correct since I just sold my nos unitized distributor. I love this website! Thanks again guys you're great, Chad

Last edited by carnut4life; 06-06-2006 at 05:35 AM.