The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Arrowhead Refresh

Hey everyone. I had a quick question and it goes like this:

My Pontiac arrowhead on my rear deck lid is in nice shape with the exception that it has no black on it as it should. (See attached pic).

Is there any good way to get this black on it or would I be better off just buying a repro? Has anyone ever done work on such a thing?

I'm thinking just some careful masking could easily get the border masked off for a quick spray of black but I don't think the center flare would be quite as easy... ideas?

Thanks for the help and here's a pic of the emblem:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delteme.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	54157  

Old 05-29-2006, 09:40 PM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I've never had very good luck at it, but some people would grease the center star (with Vaseline maybe?) before spraying, then wipe the grease & paint away after the rest of the paint is no longer tacky.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default arrowhead refresh

I would tape it, cut out the black parts , wipe it down with thinner, and paint it, very light coats. but thats me. So what did you decide on your intake problem?

Old 05-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd do it with a brush myself...I dunno how steady you are with your hands but any screwups can be wiped off with a rag dampened with a bit of thinner.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 PM

I believe Eastwood sells/sold something called a flow pen. It is for this exact purpose. I'd probably paint it with One-shot pinstriping paint.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the tips. We'll see if i get aroudn to doing it sometime. Anyone have any particular paint recommendations to get it to look right and last long?

CarlA - the intake 'problem' (or better said- the 'engine problem') is as such: I'm livin with the '64 389 in there now as it runs great and gives me no trouble whatsoever and still plenty of power. The whole event just re-watered my desire for a 65 421 engine to be put in. Not in any rush (or better said my bank is not in any rush) to spend money on the 65 421 but the request is still in my signature because I know they dont pop up too often. If anyone hears of one for sale on the east coast let me kNow!! As soon as a good block (the more complete the better) pops up I hope to be on it and get things going with the project.