Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 PM

Default Help! Hedman Heder Oil Filter Clearance on a 68 Firebird

Upon recieving my Hedman Heders I find out from reading the install instructions that you have to remove the oil filter assembly every time to change the oil! Hedman recommends purchasing a oil filter relocation kit. I really don't want my oil filter bolted to the firewall or fender. I could really use some help or advice from someone that may have found a way to keep the oil filter in place while using these headers. I haven't installed them yet so I don't know how much clearance I'll need. Since they were a ceramic coated and therfore a special order I can't return them according to the shop.Thanks for your help.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Senior Chief

I used the Hedman 35270' s on mine, along with an adaptor that I got from PY for about $50. It sits the filter out about an inch and tilts it back at an angle. Plenty of room for filter changes. I never tried it without the adaptor, so I can' t comment on clearance without it.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Suspended

I am not sure about the header to oil filter clearance on a 1968 Firebird, but I do know that the smaller AC PF-61 Oil Filter works well on the 1975 Firebird with Hedman Hedders.

There is also a short 'mini' version of the PF-61 that is about 1/2 as long, but I don't recall the number.

Maybe another member can offer additional advice??...Robert

Old 05-18-2006, 01:35 PM

PF-46 is the shorter version of the PF-61 with a anti-drainback valve. The PF-61 does not have the anti-drainback valve in it.If you want the longer filter with the anti-drainback valve,it is a PF-59.
Vernon

Last edited by HOGFRMR; 05-18-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:07 PM

I just wanted to say thanks guys for giving me something to go on. Hopefully a different oil filter or even better an adaptor from PY will solve this.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

dumb question, but how exactly does the anti drainback valve work in a stock, vertical, configuration? i guess it keeps the oil in the filter from flowing down the oil pump channel into the pan?

or, does it prevent oil in the top of the engine from the effects of gravity?

both do the same, i guess, one just forms a "plug" in the filter, the other is more like a seal created from a vacuum.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Suspended

About returns: Did you pay for them with a credit card? A credit card, not a debit card?

If you paid for them with a credit card, the little company's piss ant no-return contract is no match to the finincial gorilla of the creditor. The big stick is bossman. The merchant must ensure 100% customer satisifaction to the purchaser; otherwise, the merchant must provide 100% refund upon return of the unsatisfactory product. It 'dont have nothin to do with the contract between you and the vender, and everthing to do with the contract between the creditor and merchant. In this case, you can play the same cop-out bBay game because--alas--all you are is a venue.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sts, Your a real piece of work. I've read a couple of your posts & you sure do like to trash parts & Company's. Now getting back to the problem at hand. What headers do you have. Are they for round port or d port heads. I've run several diff headers on my 67 Bird & i've never had an oil filter issue.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sts, Why not post your email & real name.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 PM

Thumbs up I now have got a plan...

I purchased Hedmen Headers. I am going with 67ConvFB's (Ron) advice using the adaptor sold by PY. If it worked on his set up it has to work on mine. I can always go with a reduced oil filter size in addition to the adaptor if needed.Thanks for posting a reply Scott.
Keith