Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need help...throttle cable 67 firebird

any firebird guys know what pedal assembly to buy so I can use a throttle cable instead of the factory style linkage??? this is the only thing holding me back on completing my car.................here's some pics....

Old 04-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

why the hell do you want the cable?

Rex

Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get the pedal assembly from any '68 engined car or '67 six cylinder car if you want to convert to cable. There's an angled pad above the pivot point where you'll need to drill a hole for the cable itself.

John

Old 04-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you could use an aftermarket pedal from multiple sources, like lokar, transdapt, mr/ gasket, etc if you can't find later oem stuff to convert to cable.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why dont you want to use the linkage? even with a victor intake, a deadbear throtal stop and dominator carb I was able to get the stock linkage to work. I had nothing but a huge pain in the balls with the cable.

Rex

Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBNRacing
Why dont you want to use the linkage? even with a victor intake, a deadbear throtal stop and dominator carb I was able to get the stock linkage to work. I had nothing but a huge pain in the balls with the cable.

Rex
personally I'd love to use the linkage but I can't get 100% throttle because I dont have enough travel in my linkage........it worked with my old holley but now I have an HP holley.......i guess the linkage is a little different.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to keep the stud no more than about 1.25" from the shaft center. Can't you move the ball stud closer to the throttle shaft center? I have a very unusual setup and was able to make the rod linkage work.

John

Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My linkage from the old car would keep going till the pedal was 5 inches off the floor if i wanted it to be, so i could get a ton more travel then i ever needed. What is stoping yours? If you like i can post a pic of the linkage set up off my car. Perhaps it was trimmed or modified to allow the pedal to come up further? My father may have done this before her give me the car. see whats stoping yours from comming off the floor higher.

Rex

Old 05-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBNRacing
My linkage from the old car would keep going till the pedal was 5 inches off the floor if i wanted it to be, so i could get a ton more travel then i ever needed. What is stoping yours? If you like i can post a pic of the linkage set up off my car. Perhaps it was trimmed or modified to allow the pedal to come up further? My father may have done this before her give me the car. see whats stoping yours from comming off the floor higher.

Rex
if you dont mind posting some pics that would be great........
if i can i wanna keep the linkage........
the thing that stops mine from coming high off the floor is the linkage hits the head.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Chief

Kind of hard to tell by the picture, but it looks like you have a linkage for a 6 cyl. car. They are pretty straight. The V8 linkage is offset to clear the head. They also use a different rod.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes i think he is right mine dont look like that I will post a pic over the weekend

Rex

Old 05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ConvFB
Kind of hard to tell by the picture, but it looks like you have a linkage for a 6 cyl. car. They are pretty straight. The V8 linkage is offset to clear the head. They also use a different rod.
yeah that's just my luck. ..............i might just be gettin a lokar...........................if anyone posts pics that would be great...........
i dont see how i have that linkage........its an original 400 car............

Old 05-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

Went out and looked today and I had it backwards. You have the correct bracket. The 6 bracket is offset about 2 inches. I have some pictures, but just got the camera and am having trouble downloading them. I' ll see if I can get them for you this weekend.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ConvFB
Went out and looked today and I had it backwards. You have the correct bracket. The 6 bracket is offset about 2 inches. I have some pictures, but just got the camera and am having trouble downloading them. I' ll see if I can get them for you this weekend.
thanks for your help, try photobucket.com it's what i use and its free.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Chief

Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Throttle Bracket.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	52262  

Last edited by 67ConvFB; 05-07-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

Another...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67 Throttle Bracket 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	52263  

Old 05-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Chief

First one again...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67 Throttle Bracket 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	52264  

Old 05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pics look good........exact same as my setup....well i went to summit on saturday and found a Lokar billet pedal assembly for a camaro........it should work for my car.....after spending $ 100 on it......I'll post some pics when its in...........

Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda late to the party, but here's what I did...
When I had my 68 Firebird, I converted it to the 67 mechanical setup.
I went over to the local hardware store and purchased some bolts, locknuts, heim joints, and a piece of rod.
I open my carb to fully open and moved the throttle as far back toward the firewall as I thought possible (minus a little bit for safety- movement, rocking, whatever). Then I measured this distance.
I took a piece of clothes hanger and bent it into a staggered shape that cleared everything. Then I put the rod in a vice and heated the areas that required bending and duplicated the shape of the hanger.
I let it cool and threaded the ends of the rod, then screwed the Heim joints on. Once everything was bolted up, it was adjustable at the rod ends.
This setup worked very well and allowed me plenty of clearance at the firewall and the cylinder head.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455
Kinda late to the party, but here's what I did...
When I had my 68 Firebird, I converted it to the 67 mechanical setup.
I went over to the local hardware store and purchased some bolts, locknuts, heim joints, and a piece of rod.
I open my carb to fully open and moved the throttle as far back toward the firewall as I thought possible (minus a little bit for safety- movement, rocking, whatever). Then I measured this distance.
I took a piece of clothes hanger and bent it into a staggered shape that cleared everything. Then I put the rod in a vice and heated the areas that required bending and duplicated the shape of the hanger.
I let it cool and threaded the ends of the rod, then screwed the Heim joints on. Once everything was bolted up, it was adjustable at the rod ends.
This setup worked very well and allowed me plenty of clearance at the firewall and the cylinder head.
i like the idea........very nice.
well i got mad and went out and bought a lokar camaro pedal,
bolts right in and looks really nice......I topped it off with a lokar
throttle cable.......I'll try to post some pics soon.