Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM

Default rear end gear

Considering changing to a 3.73 gear from a 3.23 for more power off the line. I dont race but feel lacking in power. Can I get some help on advantages / disadvantages? Will it make a big difference *-

Old 04-25-2006, 01:08 AM

Look at the posts pertaining to 10 bolt 8.2 inch ring gears. Some had 2 side gears and some had 4 side gears. Some folks say there is a difference in strength.

You will need a different carrier inside of your differential housing. If you do the swap and no longer need your 3.23 gears, I would be interested in them. I have a 2.93 rear end with posi now, and am looking for 3.23 stock gears. The commonly available 3.55 gears from Richmond, Randy's, etc. are supposedly noisier than the stock design because they are cut for durability on the street or the track. I do not flog my car, so my 10 bolt 8.2 inch rear end is fine for me.

GoOrdnance

Last edited by GoOrdnance; 04-25-2006 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Mistake in my comments