The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-30-2006, 03:40 PM

Default safty

First off very cool site. I was thinking about painting my car myself but the more research I do the more scared I get. I found a shop that would spray the base/clear after I did all the stripping, filling, priming, blocking and sealing. I was planning on using Dupont because that’s what the shop uses and seems to be popular on this site. The warning label for the Dupont URO primer says us a Positive Pressure Supplied air respirator during application but the shop says it not necessary and I’ve never seen anyone in any magazine or TV show use one. There not cheap but I want to live to see my kids get old. What do you guys think? Any recommendations on which one and were to buy? Are there any products that are not as toxic? thanks

Old 03-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

absolutely do not pick up your bad habits from TV shows. Cured paint products have isocyanates in them. They are lethal. That is why the supplied breathing is needed. In a professional shop, they should be using supplied air too. However, to their advantage, they do have great ventilation. You will not. It is even more important to you to have supplied air. There are lots of dummies and know it alls working in shops, sorry to say. Some of them die early and have health issues. Everyone reacts differently to isoscyanate exposure. Just like drugs, no way to know how you will react. Therefore, you don't breathe them nor do you allow them to penetrate yuour skin. A supplied air device can be purchased for about $400, well worth your life. Then if you never use it again..it will sell lightning fast for $300 on ebay. A $100 to save yourself is worth it. Charcoal respirators do not filter out isocyanates. If you don't believe me, go to 3ms website and read...they never say to use them in the presence of isos. Be safe.