Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default this might be a stupid question but...

im looking for a MSD ignition on ebay. other then the box what would i need ? i already have a factory HEI dist. id like to have a rev limiter as well for a little piece of mind as well. as yo ucan tell by my post i dont know anything about MSD. can anyone help me out ?

Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending upon intended usage, the MSD 6AL is a decent box for the price. It has a rev limiter feature that utilizes "chips" to set max RPM. I run it in my car with a gutted HEI as a trigger.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto Jagtec1. I run the MSD 6AL in my 65 Cat/P-Dude 455. Because of my set-up I felt I needed more/better spark at lower RPM and the MSD did the trick. For an amateur like me the installation instructions were a bit confusing at first but the more I studied them the simpler they got and the installation was pretty easy. Rev limiter chips come with the unit and/or you can get specific RPM chips for your application.
If you are just looking for a rev limiter there may be other options-I'm sure someone will chime in about the Rev Limiter you can put inside the cap of an HEI. I think there was a good post recently about it so you might search the archives. Also check out websites like Jeg's or Summit.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:51 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_jury_executioner_69
... MSD ignition .... other than the box what would I need?
Did anyone answer? I thought he was asking what coil has worked well with it, what wires, what plug gap, etc.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not all #6 boxes have RPM protection. If it dont it will cost you $80.00 to convert it.
Rex

Old 03-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thats what im looking for or shoudl i say try to understand. i already have the HEI with a accel coil. id like to have a MSD with a rev limiter but i dont know what exactially id need (if i need to get their coil as well ....)

Old 03-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is the MSD 6, and the 6AL...I think the 6AL has the rev limiter (mine does). I use an MSD in cap coil. You could get a dust cap for the HEI, and go to an external coil if you so desire.

I just removed the module from the HEI, and simply use it to trigger the box.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i ran my 6al with hei for a trigger with an accell super coil. you should be fine. I would send the distributor out to get it curved for your application and the total advance locked. Mine when set up ran in the 10.50s. at 123. Now i have a comp 9000 and a 7al. Already went through 2 mallory modules, maybe i should switch back