Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default OIL cooler

Looking to add an oil cooler to my 64 GTO 455w/hooker super comps. It also has the angled oil filter housing. Would like to just do a cooler and leave the filter where its at, but if I add a "sandwitch" adapter between the block and the housing, it doesn't look like I would be able to get the filter out.

Looking for ideas for this and will do a remote filter if need be.

Passenger side firewall is out because thats where I have my MSD.

thanks in advance.

tom

Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Senior Chief

Put the MSD box in the glove box. It will stay cool and last longer. It will also hide it to create less cluter under the hood. Thats were mine is. Just a sugestion.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Boost Engineer

I would add a remote filter by the passenger head and a LAMINOVA OIL COOLER and do the following routing:

1) Out of lower hole in engine block to the remote oil filter adaptor.
2) From the remote oil filter adaptor to oil inlet of LAMINOVA OIL COOLER.
3) From oil outlet side of LAMINOVA OIL COOLER back to the upper hole on the engine block.
4) Water from the engine to the inlet side of the LAMINOVA OIL COOLER.
5) Water from the outlet side of the of the LAMINOVA OIL COOLER to the heater core inlet.
6) Water from the outlet side of the heater core to the water pump nipple on the timing cover.

While not the best lay-out for oil cooling the packaging will be fairly simple to plumb and will have minimal oil pressure loss to the engine.

A better water routing would be adding a metal portion to the lower radiator hose routing. A water nipple would be added to that metal portion thereby bringing the coldest water from the radiator to the Laminova oil cooler and then out of the oil cooler to the heater core inlet.

Tom V.

ps The Laminova oil coolers are extremely efficient.
We use them on our Police Car packages and they
package very well.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another way to go if you don't want to have a remote-mounted filter is to use a mid-80's Corvette oil cooler. These are made by Modine and are still available new. I've been using one in my 66 GTO for about 10 years now. To make this work, you need to make an adapter plate from 1/8" aluminum sheet and machine an O-ring groove into it to seal against the filter adapter. Also, you need a filter adapter-adapter like Pontiac used on early ram-air Firebirds to angle the filter back 30 degrees or so. You can get these reproduction. Finally, you need a 90 degree filter adapter from an early Firebird or big car. A nice benefit of doing this is that you use Chevy filters which are more plentiful than we have now. With this setup, I can use a tall PF-35L filter with tri-Y headers and a shorter PF-25 filter with Doug's round port headers.

Tom, that Laminova cooler looks like what GM was using on the last of the F-bodies as a power steering cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic00007.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	46977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic00017.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	46978