Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default cylinder flex honing

What is the purpose of the flex hone in the picture? What's the stone version for? What is the best grit and size that should be used on a pontiac engine bore at 4.150? I'm trying to study up on this and I'm a little confused.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BLOCKCYL.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	46793  

Last edited by greyno3; 03-21-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

My understanding is that there are a variety of "flex hones" available.

The one I have is specifically for micro-finishing bores, following the final machine-hone on a Sunnen at the engine shop. It supposedly puts a "plateau" surface on the bores, if one were to view them microscopically. I bought mine on a recommendation by Smokey Yunick in some tech article years ago- Smokey always said about bores "the smoother the better". Unfortunately, mine has no name on it- I'd need to search old receipts to remember the manufacturer and part number.

But there are other flex hones with a totally different purpose- such as de-glazing cylinders for a re-ring job. Personally, I use a spring-loaded stone type in an electric drill for de-glazing.

Sorry this probably isn't much help to you.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:04 PM

I used one to remove heavy rust from a cylinder, so that I could get the piston out the top. Made short work of the rust. I only had to spin the drill about 5-10 secs at most. I know when I picked mine up, the packaging had the "grit" of the balls checked off and you could get it in different grits (along with different bore sizes). As far as other uses, I do not have any other knowledge as to what.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thats whats called a Bottle brush, it makes the cross hatching pattern in the Cyl, for usde after boring and honin, or after honing, or when ever you need a criss cross pattern.
Mike

Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I have a block with light rust in the cylinders. It's already been bored .030 or 4.150. Which hone would clean the cylinders up and leave a cross hatch pattern that will not hurt the bore size? 180 or 240 grit????

Old 03-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Flex-hone is just used to get the cross-hatch pattern on the walls such as for a re-ring. it does not remove material. It's a good way to prepare for rings as long as the cylinder is within specs. I've done several re-rings with in-spec cylinders with excellent results.

The stone type is used primarily after a re-bore and the cylinders are honed to size, first a coarse grit then a fine with the final surface having a cross hatch pattern.

If the cyls are in spec with allowable diameter and taper the flex hone is a good idea.

See www.brushresearch.com

George

Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i used one with great results...used paint thinner that didnt smell for lube...and plenty of ventilation...

'74 formula 400, w/shaker (3 scoops) black deluxe interior, '70 406 balanced assembly, .30 trw slugs, moly rings, 4x heads 2.11/1.77 stainless valves, ra 4 cam, e-rpm intake, holley 750 vac. sec, msd hei, hooker headers w/ dual 3'' flowmaster 50 series ending at axle, t400 w/ GM6 convertor, transgo shift kit, b&m starshifter, 3.08 gears, centerlines, 265/50-15 bfg's rear and 235/60-15 front...yes im over cammed but it is still very fun...